1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So-Cal Fire Thread -- BYOP*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 21, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Re: Malibu burning

Are Pam Anderson's fake cans threatened?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Damn, that fire can't be more than 200 yards from a bunch of buildings on the PCH.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Firefighter killed in San Diego battling a wildfire.
    I sure as hell hope this is not 2003 all over again.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Does anyone know any other TV stations that have streaming video that would be showing this? The one that is linked to the LA Times site hasn't had sound for about 2 hours now and it is annoying.

5. MileHigh

KCBS/KCAL reporting Interstate 15 shut down in both directions because of a fire in Devore, near Glen Helen, right at the base of Cajon Pass. Gonna be a long drive home for folks from Las Vegas.

6. MileHigh

L.A. Times:

The fires burning across Southern California today are being fueled by unusual hurricane-force Santa Ana winds that topped 100 mph, and forecasters say the winds and heat will worsen in the coming days.

At Whitaker Peak, elevation 4,100 feet, gusts were clocked at 108 mph. The measurement on the isolated, tumultuous peak spoke to the strength of the winds hammering Southern California.

"The strongest winds have not occurred yet. They're going to peak [on Monday]," said Ken Clark, a Rancho Cucamonga-based expert senior meteorologist for Accuweather.com. "This is not just any strong event. This is one of the strongest events you get during any Santa Ana season."

In the Newhall Pass and in Port Hueneme, winds gusted up to 78 mph Sunday, qualifying as hurricane force gusts. Generally, gusts were measured between 30 mph to 60 mph, including in Malibu and the major wildfire areas.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Driving down Kellogg Hill in Pomona right now on I-10 West. I can see a trail ofsmoke on the horizon (next to the L.A. skyline, which is clearly visible.) I'm really not that close. Damn.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I would post my Bullwinkle "Not Again," but it would be insensitive in this case.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What's the latest on the fires? Are they still raging?

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

They are still raging. Raging hard.

At one time, there were ELEVEN fires raging through SoCal. One of those was in Devore, where the 215 and 15 meet by Glen Helen Regional Park and Blockbuster Pavilion.

On my way to Loma Linda to get my father -- who was in the hospital -- I drove right through it. It was on both sides of the freeway. I could feel the heat against my car as I went past.

One of the evacuation sites from the Canyon Country fire is at the high school a mile from my house.

The winds here this weekend have been insane: 50 mph where I live, upward of 70-plus in some areas and clocked at more than 100 mph in the Grapevine and one mountain area above Malibu.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Winds were pretty awful where I'm at, too. Took down the chimes and brought in a few other items off the porch after my bike got knocked over this morning by the wind. Driving this afternoon, the dust was especially awful around Chino Hills.

I haven't had to drive through any flames this time, luckily, but I'm concerned for those who do. I did that last summer in the Esperanza fire -- not a fun experience.

Highest wind gusts I've heard about were 108 mph near Malibu. That's fucking insane.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The Santiago Canyon fire is too close for comfort. My daughter is freaking (so my wife is freaking) and some friends are taking off. The fire won't reach us, but the smoke is almost unbearable. I don't know where to go to get away from that.

Draft saved Draft deleted