1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So-Cal Fire Thread -- BYOP*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 21, 2007.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

*Bring Your Own Phos-Chek (tm)

Amazing live video on local LA TV right now showing Malibu on fire -- hurricane-force winds are blowing and the flames are baring down on Pepperdine. Hard to tell what structures have burned but appears that there are some on fire. Tough fire to fight because the winds are so strong the air attack potential is very limited.

UPDATE:

Malibu Presbyterian Church is completely engulfed; the flames have jumped PCH and are now heading towards Malibu Road and the beach, where homes are stacked like cord-wood-- at $5 million + each.

2. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Re: Malibu burning

Sounds really bad. At least my wife says so. Hoping for the best for all nearby...

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Santa Anas blowing. Malibu burned in 1993 as well. What a brutal year that was. As was 2003. Virtually no rain for 18 months out there. Sad to see, but as a SoCal native, I've seen it way way too many times.

4. MileHigh

Home page of the L.A. Times shows the church engulfed.

http://www.latimes.com/

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That picture is amazing. When you say hurricane force winds, how strong exactly are those?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think anything over 75 mph is considered a cat 1 hurricane.

7. MileHigh

Yes, 75 mph and more. It's not sustained, but gusts. Classic Santa Anas funneling through all of the canyons. I've seen worse, unfortunately.

8. MileHigh

And with humidity in the single digits and 2-4 inches of rain in a year and a half, this could last a while.

Here's the NWS red-flag warning that was put out Saturday:

DURING THE PEAK OF THE NORTHEAST EVENT..THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR NORTHEAST WINDS OF 40 TO 50 MPH WITH DAMAGING WIND GUSTS AS HIGH AS 80 MPH THROUGH PASSES AND CANYONS....

PEOPLE TRAVELLING THROUGH THE ANTELOPE VALLEY ... INCLUDING HIGHWAYS 14 AND 138 ... SHOULD EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION.

9. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

If you watch the KTLA-5 video link on the LAT home page, best to leave the sound off. Some vapid woman was doing the running commentary from the studio, and she reeks of mediocrity. Talking about how it might be "disconcerting" for Pepperdine students to ditch the dorms and flee from a marching wall of flames.

And just generally blathering on and on and on..........

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm watching the video and I don't know what part of the fire it is, because there is no longer sound with the video, but it is starting to get really close to a bunch of buildings.

Will be interesting to see if they can stop it from burning those.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Malibu Presbyterian is just up Malibu Canyon Road above Pepperdine. Church burned down, but firefighters got that area under control. Pepperdine is not threatened anymore.
    Back closer to Santa Monica is Carbon Canyon and that is in major trouble right now. The canyons are rugged and large portions of the area are inaccessible.
    Warm temperatures + Santa Ana winds = fire. Really sad.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

There is a line of houses on top of a ridge that look like they are in trouble. A complete wall of fire is coming toward them.

Draft saved Draft deleted