1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So burning a flag is a hate crime? Let's start applying this equally.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure any more.
    Waffles.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And how, pray tell, does one "control" their thoughts? Things come and go into and out of my head all the time. Not all of them are nice, though my Wally Cleaver-esque behavior belies some of the not-so-nice thoughts. But I'm not really sure how to just make the not-so-nice thoughts just magically disappear.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Everybody pays.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but found it interesting.
    Louisiana slave historian Dr. Ibrahim Seck says the fleur de lis was once used to mark slaves as punishment for running away.

Seck isn't calling for a ban on the fleur de lis, saying it's now a symbol of unity. But how long before this becomes the next Confederate flag, and a Saints-Redskins game becomes the protestors' version of Woodstock?

Historians say fleur de lis has troubled history

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Batman, I've been thinking of a "what if" along those lines. What if the NAACP endorsed the flag as one of their symbols, and all people of color who so desired displayed it as their new symbol, their rainbow flag, symbolizing their future (and past)? If it were widely adopted and displayed by blacks, would that cause honkies to no longer want to identify with it?

I suggest this as a way to radically turn the tables on the whole issue. Things mean things based on what meanings people give them. What if the NAACP completely redefined what the flag stood for in the future?

The past is past. Define the present and future and live it, man. Redefine those symbols into something more meaningful, without forgetting the past and still learning from it. Make that flag an NAACP logo, and sell it in Walmart, with profits going to the NAACP.

That would turn the tables quite a bit.

In other words, mindfuck those honkies.

Ah. Please pass me some weed.

6. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

We are cruising toward 1939 Germany.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So you two are OK with everything they did before the shattering of glass and rounding up of Jews before the gas chambers? Before they actually did anything those were only thoughts, right?

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

9. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I think that's satire

Songbird likes this.
  10. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

Well, we have the thought police running around doing Barack's bidding.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Potato peelers ...

Draft saved Draft deleted