1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, AP ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wisportswriter, Jul 1, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yea, so why pay AP 30K a month? I can just get the capsules off ESPN. They're up there faster anyway.

We pay for AP to provide content. When they don't do it in a timely manner, we have the right to bitch, whether you like it or not.

2. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

Thank God for AP news now

3. Hookem06

Hookem06 New Member

Are they using interns now? I've seen a lot of write throughs coming through with no byline and in the rare occasion that I have space for an actual baseball gamer with quotes, it takes forever to get.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

When you pay for it, you expect for it to be done right.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Good of Ralph, a good guy, to bravely step into the fire here.

I just assumed the geeks in N.Y. were waiting on the Yankees game to end. The only AL team that really matters, right?

6. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

Timeliness is just one of the issues. I'm more irritated with all the dirty copy that's slipping through. The quality of AP copy has taken a significant hit in recent years. Same can be said about our state AP's customer service.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Stringers. Depends on the market, as far as how much they use them. In markets that had NBA and NHL playoffs, you were probably bound to see more.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

The answer is probably somewhere in between, but I have a deep, abiding affection and admiration for this particular post.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

They provide the content... there was a lede moved on all those games.
    If you want to wait for capsules, then you wait until nogh games have ended for someone to put capsule together.
    Or, as I said, you grab each lede as is moves, take a couple graphs each and make your own roundup.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. I always thought that was the easiest way to do things. Beat the hell out of waiting around and formatting a 15- or 20-inch roundup right on deadline.

11. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

You have customer service in your state? Every time I dial our state's AP on deadline, I get an asshat in Atlanta who has no idea what day of the week it is. In the 10 times I've called AP in the last year for something or to check something, I've had one helpful person answer the phone. It was miraculous.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not a capsule, a full gamer.

And an hour and forty minutes to turn in a 400-word optional by an AP staff writer (Stephen Hawkins in this case) is inexcusable. The game couldn't have been that hard to write. Texas led from the start, and Marlon Byrd's big night was a ready-made angle.

Draft saved Draft deleted