1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, AP ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wisportswriter, Jul 1, 2009.

1. I'll just do my own AL capsules tonight, game-by-game?
    (11:47 Central)

2. Now midnight Central and not even a first run of capsules.
    Is this just my wire?

Off to a manual job ...

3. ralph russo

ralph russo Member

Here's your answer:
    Between 11:11p edt and 11:54p edt 5 AL games ended. In fact, look at the period from 10:21, when D-Backs-Reds moved, and 11:54, when RSox-Orioles moved.

Nine baseball games ended in that hour and a half. We got slammed with a mountain of breaking gamers and getting those on the wire, plus the optionals from the two games that ended a little early, are the priority over capsules.

So there you have it.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

And you'd have served far more of your customers doing capsules than editing optionals, which every paper I've ever worked at rarely run.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Perhaps instead of spending his time coming here and whining about AP's lack of capsules. wisp could have used that time to take the gamers as they came in (not the optionals) and put together his own roundup.
    We do it every night...without every waiting for the capsules.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Or AP could do its fucking job and send basic shit that almost every paper in the country uses in a timely manner or at least stop being asshats when you call them to ask what's taking so fucking long.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, SC. A lead moved on every one of those games. Grab 'em, put 'em together, make a roundup. Takes 10 minutes, or less time that it took wisp to logon here and post twice, 13 minutes apart.
    We don't have time to wait for capsules when we can do it ourselves faster.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Aaaaaaaand, we have a winner!

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Angels-Rangers game ended at 10:22 p.m.

The optional did not move until 12:02 a.m. I waited until the last possible moment for it and then I had to ship pages (pages plural because I had accounted for jump space).

AP can eat a hot, steaming bowl of dicks.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Or perhaps a big bag of dicks? [/louisck]

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Maybe you should email the writer and tell him to speed it up. Or just plan for the worst when there are night games.

I know people that work on the AP desk, and I don't think I'd describe their mien as just dicking around to screw over Football Bat and his capsules.

Draft saved Draft deleted