1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So ... anyone else get storm damage today?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

My car nearly got blown off the freeway three times today. One of my friends in town lost power a half dozen times, and I had to try three gas stations to find one that had power.

Wind storms are weird. No clouds, decent temperature, but you can barely close your front door because the wind is forcing it back open.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Had a few rock slides happen after some pretty intense rain, but thankfully they just tied up traffic for a few hours.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

We had high winds and it got real cold, real quick. I expected a house with a girl and dog to land by me on the road.

I was getting blown all over the road on my way home.

And On the River, I heard on the news as I drove home how bad you all were getting hit. Glad we just got the wind.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Had a bad wind storm in North Texas with sustained winds of 40-45 and gusts up to 60. Lots of brush fires with all the dry growth from last summer's monsoon. No dust this time, though. We'll get more wind today and tomorrow with even more fire danger.

I've got to go outside this morning and count my shingles.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

No snow, but very high winds, subzero air temps and windchills of 50 below and falling.

School's been canceled.

Perfect day to finish the annual "Get this pigsty of a house cleaned up before Super Bowl Sunday" panic attack.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

neighbor lost a small tree, other than that no.

7. You, too, Rosie?
    I have come to hate Super Bowl Saturday with the heat of a thousand lakes.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Heard the tornado warning siren in the neighborhood last night, then turned on the TV and it looked like Dorothy's house would be cruising by my front door in 10 minutes. Waited it out in the basement and then...nothing. But I did see some big trees down on my drive this morning.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Not much heat from the frozen 10,000 lakes here, FB. ;) :D

Mr. Rosie, a few years back, realized the folly of telling me, "Don't worry about the house, the family isn't coming to see the house. They're coming to watch football and have birthday cake."

If it weren't for this #&#@ party, my house would probably never get a really good cleaning.

I hate cleaning!

Well, five more minutes then it's time to get back to dusting. :'(

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Got back to the office this morning. There's a power pole bent at a 45-degree angle in front of the office, and we lost a few trees from the landscaping.

Worst news of the day is that an elderly woman and her adult daughter were killed next county over when their mobile home was flipped by a hurricane-strength gust.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Well, a train got blown off a bridge and into Sandusky Bay by Cedar Point. One of the train cars that has yet to be found was full of hazardous waste.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In Ohio, that's called "maintaining the status quo."

Draft saved Draft deleted