1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So ... anyone else get storm damage today?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Jan 29, 2008.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

We got absolutely hammered here in Indiana.

Sustained 45 mph winds, gusts to 70 mph, and a temperature that dropped 20 degrees in 15 minutes.

I've been on my neighbor's roof for an hour, laying down a tarp to cover the missing shingles. Storm also tore down a pine tree in the back yard. It was 3 feet around and it took the damn thing up at the base. Just amazing. And the wind isn't supposed "die down" to 25 mph till after midnight, which made the tarp adventure a nightmare.

But at least we're not in Chicago, which I hear resembles a Jack London novel right now.

Anyone else on the board get the hammer?

EDIT: SPC tracks the storm reports:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/today.html

Pretty easy to see which region I'm in.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

We had a little rain in the morning and some again in the evening. My parents got an ice storm in New York.

3. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

In N.Y. -- Wind warnings and just enough ice to put a thin sheet of it on my car this morning. But most of that melted away by the afternoon. Wind never did show up, but we got more ice late this evening, and it's really slick out there right now. But no loss of power or anything like that.

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Well, we started out with warm temps (low 40s) and rain.

Then it got cooler and we had freezing rain.

Then it got colder and we got snow.

Then the wind picked up and you couldn't see much past your nose.

Then it got colder.

Then the roads got bad. (Watching the SUV slide sideways off the off-ramp was a hoot)

Right now it's close to zero with wind chills in the minus-20 to minus-35 range and...I just saw a snowman blow down my street.

Other than that, just another normal January day in my hood.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I called a friend of mine, who lives in Minnesota, to tell him about the Mets-Twins trade. He said, "Yeah, that's great. But before you tell me about that, let me tell you this. ... Yesterday, it was about 40 degrees. You know what it is today? Negative 7."

Talk about a shitty day for a Braves fan from New York. ...

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Thanks for the link. Great site for weather junkies.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Not the same storm obviously, but I just talked to my parents and they got 2 feet of snow in Spokane. My dad was out shoveling today and apparently the piles of snow are higher than 7 feet in his neighborhood. First time in 12 years schools in Spokane have closed because of snow. Oh, and they are supposed to get another 7 to 9 inches tomorrow and there is another big storm lined up for Saturday.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Got hit by the same storm a little further afield from OTR (OTR knows where I live ... note to self: possible future sig line). Weather man said the barometer (29.08) when the storm hit was the lowest he'd seen in 20 years on the job.

At one point, the storms that hit us were reportedly moving through the region at 90 miles per hour. And after having a high of 55 at 6:30 p.m., we're at 14 at 1 a.m.

Thankfully no damage in my 'hood, but some of the rest of my city has lost power. Bad, bad deal considering how cold and windy it is.

Can't wait to drive through this shit to my assignment 3-plus hours away tomorrow. Yay.

9. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Here in central Illinois the Phila. Eagles grill cover Mrs. Fear got me as an early birthday present last summer was just shredded by the wind. I don't know what other damage there is around but I saw that when I flipped the back light on.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Here in NW Alabama, it was 65 in the afternoon and in the high 20s when I left work. Got some heavy rain and winds, which caused a power outage at the office. Power was out for about 15 minutes.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

We had near white-out conditions and some very high winds.

I'm fairly sure it's not the same storm system though.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Some people say Ryan Sonner walks through the raindrops. I think rain knows to get the fuck out of Ryan Sonner's way.

Draft saved Draft deleted