1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So about those "fair trials" at Guantanamo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Aug 7, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, if even-handed means allowing hearsay and secret evidence and evidence obtained by torture, yeah, totally.

I'd love to think they'll be able to appeal for their release and that they'll be able to get it. I really do. But somehow I just doubt that's going to be the case.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

So you're saying the Nazis were unfairly convicted?

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

What is your point there? I'm confused.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I was referencing the NUREMBERG in his post.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1963779/ Reply with quoteQuote
    Right, I was asking him, not you. Sorry for not being clear.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Got ya.

7. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I bet you really believe that. If you have really thought that out, then tell that to the victims of those 100 terrorists. Better still, you had 19 terrorists not only try, but succeed in killing 2,000-plus on Sept. 11, 2001. Explain that belief of yours to them.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'm not saying the Nazi's were unfairly sentanced. They carried out the orders, thus they had to be punished. There were enough evidence to prove it. But don't try and tell me the Nuremberg trials were fair. Because if you do, then you are either naive or naive. There is no second choice.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So exactly how many innocent people is it OK to imprison to make sure we put those 100 terrorists behind bars? 1? 2? 25? 100? 1,000? 10,000? Give me an exact number, since you think imprisoning innocent people is OK. An exact number.

If one of them was your brother, would you suddenly be less OK with it? Or is it only OK as long as all the innocent people we imprison are brown?

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Again, not talking about the way the prosecution made its case, I'm talking about those running the trial, judges and jury as they are. If you listen to the defense lawyer of other detainees, it seems he thought the trial was handled fairly.

11. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Because they're BROWN...???

You'd do well at an airport screening facility. "Leave that 30-year-old Muslim male who looks nervous alone. Sir, I'll find you an attorney just in case you think we might have considered doing anything to you and - HEY! Cavity search on that 79-year-old great-grandmother and do not - I repeat do not - let that 2-year-old go without a search!

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Fair enough. From what I gather, yes, the judge was as fair as the system allows him to be. In other words, he didn't tilt the scale any further to the prosecution than it had already been tilted. But then, that's not really much of a standard to have to live up to, is it?

I see what you're saying, I do. I just don't feel like any trial conducted under this system can ever possibly be fair.

Draft saved Draft deleted