1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So about those "fair trials" at Guantanamo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Aug 7, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Wanting to put/keep people in jail regardless of if they committed a crime doesn't make you a better American. Honest.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

I don't know their guilt or innocence or relative threat they pose anymore than you do. You're assuming that America is always the bad guy. It saddens me.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've been reading the book "Lone Survivor" this week. It's an autobiography about a Navy SEAL whose platoon was wiped out in Afghanistan in 2005 by Taliban fighters. In addition to the story of how it happened, he gives a lot of detail of what goes into making a SEAL (and why he did it, a chapter that damn near had me jumping up and saluting) and what exactly happens on some of their missions over there. Great read, and I highly recommend it.
    Some folks might be surprised to know these guys actually know what the hell they're doing. They're not stumbling around the mountains, shooting anything that moves and hauling random Afghans and Iraqis back to Guantanamo. Most of these arrests are the result of multiple surveillance missions and solid intelligence. Like Pallister said, America is not always the bad guy.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Is that why more than half of the detainees have been released without charges?

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, it's just that an administration that has made a pattern of holding hundreds of people -- including American citizens -- without charges and without making any attempts to try them (oftentimes releasing them without charges) no longer gets an assumption I like to call "benefit of the doubt." That saddens me more.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

There's a chance anyone can do anything on any day of the week. Should we lock everyone up....just to be safe?

If so, where does the line get drawn?

Or are you one of those people that says...."Japanese Americans locked up in America during WWII? Oh, come on, we were just joshin' man! We love those people. They're gonna make us some sweet cars, dude!"

I'm all for freedom and I love liberty, but you can't say you support one innoncent human's right to be free and then restrict another simply because he's a stranger to you or doesn't meet your prerequisites to be trustworthy.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No, the question really is if someone gets his day in court and is acquitted, will the government let him go? Or does he continue to be an "enemy combatant?"

8. schiezainc

That depends.......do you love freedom?

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

If they don't, then there's a problem.

However, with the way this trial has gone, I feel a little better that if this system is given a chance to work, there's a good chance it will.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

With all due respect, why? The government just came out and said that after he finishes his sentence, they can continue to detain him. That's not evidence of a system that works.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I mean the trial system, not the government's policy. Going into this, there was a lot of skepticism that this was going to offer a fair trial, and coming out of it, its clear that the military overseers are going to be very even-handed.

If that's the case, when people are found not guilty, wouldn't they then be able to appeal for their release, and have it granted?

12. schiezainc

yeah, i meaN it's not like the government would ever UndeRminE the integrity of a court rooM By staging a fakE tRial that everyone knew was really only a witchunt to convinct those they already labeled as Guilty, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted