1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So about those "fair trials" at Guantanamo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Aug 7, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

As you probably know, the first one ended this week with a conviction for bin Laden's driver, though he was cleared on arguably the most serious charge.

Today he was sentenced to 66 months in jail, but he'll get credit for time served, which is about five years. So in six months, he's good to go.

Except the Pentagon says that once he's finished with the 66 months, his status reverts from "convicted war criminal" to "enemy combatant," and he can theoretically (and likely in reality) be held as long as they want!

And since I know the first response will likely be, "He's a terrorist! Of course we can hold him!" I would point out that this hardly gives one much confidence in what might happen in the (extraordinarily unlikely) event of an acquittal in one of these kangaroo-court trials.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/07/hamdan.trial/index.html

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Call me a dumbass hillbilly, but I'd rather him stay behind bars in Gitmo than shoot RPGs at my aircraft. We'll both be in Afghanistan in a year.

Edit to add: Granted he's released.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm sure the genuises on here will call you worse than that, TBF.

I suppose if the U.S. just loses these trials, Mr. Slave will be happier.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Except no one really thinks he was shooting anything at anyone, ever. He was a driver.

5. three_bags_full

I'm not saying it's right. It probably isn't.

That's just the way I feel, right or wrong.

6. three_bags_full

OK, I'd rather him not drive around the people who would.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Then why did we bother with the trials? Why did we make a big deal out of how they would give the detainees their day in court? And why did a jury of military officers see fit to give him a 66-month sentence? If they thought he was a danger, wouldn't they have given him a longer sentence?

It's not like the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals sentenced him. It was military officers.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

You should have also added: "Fuck freedom. As long as it's not me or someone I love/like, the government can do whatever they want...constitution be damned. Oh and another thing...if you don't like it, then GET OUT!!! WOOO!!!! GO MCCAIN!!!!"

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The irony that Bush gave a speech calling out China on human rights should be lost on no one.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am all for freedom for me and people who look and act like me. I'm not at all comfortable granting freedoms to people who look and talk different.

That's just askin' for it.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

There does exist a gap, indeed.

That said, I applaud everything Bush said on the matter. And the Chinese reponse, tantamount to saying "we welcome debate, just be respectful of the fact we may not agree that human rights mean anything and we're entitled to that opinion and you better respect it" was just appalling.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Help me out here, but isn't the lesson of all this that we should quit taking prisoners and just kill all the bastards on the spot?

Draft saved Draft deleted