1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, about those 'diminished levels of upward mobility' ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think mass incarceration may neutralize any benefits.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

And here I thought this was going to be about upward mobility in the newsroom. Mine's stagnant because I was dumb enough to go into this biz. I suspect for a lot of the upper 20, lower 30 crowd, chasing dreams and being anything you want to be has led to underpaying, underwhelming jobs and low mobility.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Teenage parenthood too.

4. Dick Whitman

That's gone way down.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Incarcerations, good point; teen parenthood, not exactly something holding black or Hispanic males back. That's just YF's little threadjack binky, I guess.

Also of note, Obama and Ryan and others are talking about the environment of the 2000s and especially post-2008. That's when blue-collar jobs were being reduced and then disappeared in bulk in one fell swoop during the crash. Study appears to go through the 1980s, but every child would have been through the educational system by then.

Will be interesting to track what happens with children of the 1990s and 2000s, I think you'll see a slowing of social mobility as middle-class/lower-class incomes have fallen and those public schools have offered less and less.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

To keep a little perspective, here's a snapshot of how the quintiles themselves have changed.

[​IMG]

And though it doesn't register in terms of upward mobility, the real success story has been those in the Top 1 percent have improved their station.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That last graph ends in 2009. The top 1% have done VERY well for themselves in the last four years.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Absolutely. The gulf has widened considerably since then.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

We are all temporarily embarrassed millionaires.

10. LongTimeListener

Here is the conclusion to the Times article:

For all the continuity over recent decades, the authors emphasized that parents appeared to cast a longer shadow over their children’s lives, in some ways, than before. As inequality has risen, pushing the rungs on the income ladder further apart than they once were, the average economic penalty of being born poor has grown over time.

“It matters more who your parents are today than it did in the past,” Mr. Chetty said.

That seems to be in direct contradiction to the headline and to the conclusion they are trying to push. It almost makes me think they engineered their reading of statistics to come up with the most attention-grabbing conclusion.

But academics would never do that, so never mind.

11. Dick Whitman

They explain the criteria. The bottom fifth now (well, at the time of the last available statistics used) has the same chance of moving into the top fifth as previous members of the bottom fifth did.

The portion you cite is in reference to growing inequality, so that those who do remain in the bottom fifth - which is still most - are less well off than those who previously remained in the bottom fifth.

12. LongTimeListener

I can't see how to read the statement "It matters more who your parents are today than it did in the past" and not take it to mean that social mobility is more limited.

Draft saved Draft deleted