1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So a coach tried to bar me from covering football (official new thread title)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Re: So I've been barred from covering football

It goes without saying, of course, that you show up and cover the game. But you get your quotes, and you lean on the people who said they'd fix it so you could.

You don't tilt into windmills just to feed into the old reporter vs. coach stuff. Use the AD. Use the SID. They sure as heck don't coach the team.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

UPDATE -- First of all, I want to correct something. My SE did speak with the ME yesterday.

I've spoken with AD, SID and SE. And then ... the coach calls. It was a civilized conversation. He accused me of "trying to be a comedian in your work, and if I want to see a comedian I'll go to the local comedy club."

I let him say his piece, and then I said mine. I finally told him that my higher-ups wouldn't care too much if we cut back on Podunk College coverage, which is true. The coach responded, "I don't care about The Podunk Press. You guys do nothing for us. We'll have games whether you cover us or not. People can get their news elsewhere, which is why newspapers are dying. I know you and I like you. But other than that, I don't care about The Podunk Press. I don't care if you cover our games."

Of course, what he's saying is partially true, but considering no other media covers them on a regular basis? Whatever.

Coach ends the conversation by telling me he needs time to think about how he wants to handle my access and that he would call me later.

SE called the AD, a calm fella who never gets pissed. AD, I guess, is now pissed at his coach.

We've decided I will go to the game. My plan is just to cover as normal. If I get no-quoted I get no-quoted.

Alma - I wasn't comparing the football team to the Cubs. I was comparing the hype around Podunk's games against Championship to the start of the Cubs' season. Admittedly, I probably didn't word it very well but I thought it was a fair analogy.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That's what I was getting at.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

It should be noted that I pointed out in the original post that Podunk hasn't beaten Championship since 1997. The last five games have been beatdowns against some of Podunk's best teams.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Again, I'll be honest, and since I don't do PMs, it'll have to be here: You don't show your hand to the coach. that guy can't tell you spit about long-term or game access to his program. <i>He'll</i> think about it? I'm sure he will.

Which is why you don't have to bring up coverage with the guy. The "coverage" line, you save that for the money people. The AD, the SID, maybe the school president, a booster. Let them roll the shit down to the coach. Oh, the coach may not like it and he may not "respect" you or whatever the word is, but the structure's in place because it's the structure, and far be it from you or anyone to negotiate with a coach the week before his biggest game whether he's gonna talk to you.

My advice is this: Go back to the AD - you or the SE - and say, you know, nicely "I want quotes after the game, and I don't want any kind of bullshit on this anymore. I'm not receiving access updates from that guy either."

You don't bargain with 90% of coaches on access. They're irrational, so you will either lose, you will compromise objectivity or you'll deepen the rift into an official pain in the ass. You may not find any allies in their bosses, either, mind you. But at least there, you're dealing with businessmen, not the last line of defense against the dark vagaries of loserdom, which how many coaches see themselves.

Point is, don't get in a big damn debate with people, don't have a long-winded conversation, either. It's a simple transaction. You want the quotes, so make sure you can get them, and go get them.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yup. That'll do it.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Agreed. You're giving this coach more power than he actually has.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

It sounds like the AD is giving the coach more power than he actually has, too.

If he's truly pissed at the coach and thinks he's in the wrong, it would take one phone call to end this whole thing. But I agree, the "negotiation" and "he needs time to think about how to handle your access" bullshit is done. Make sure the AD knows it's done, too.

Maybe if this coach would spend as much time working with his team as he does fretting about you, your access and the future of newspapers, he wouldn't get his cock handed to him every year by this opponent.

I don't know the size of paper and everything we're dealing with, but do you run free notices, camp stuff, etc. from this school? Do you give space to sports and activities at this school that no one really cares about and wouldn't be missed if you didn't run?

9. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Had this happen last year, where a coach decided he wouldn't talk to me because of a question I asked at a press conference. Concerned me at first, until the SID said I could still talk to any player I wanted, whenever I wanted. So all that happened was the stories I was writing about this program's best season ever often didn't include the coach's name anywhere.

I would tell the SID and AD that as long as you can talk to players and other personnel you don't care if you talk to the coach. Show him how unnecessary he really is. If there's a game decision that necessitates his comment and he refuses to give one, report it that way.

10. Re: So I've been barred from covering football

Why get in a huff with a Podunk coach? If it is lower divisions or a JUCO, a coach shouldn't give a crap on what the Podunk Gazette is going to cover.

I seriously hope you're not making 10-hour drives for JUCO sports.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The coach is full of himself and needs his bubble burst. Sure, he wants to control his players and his program, but the world will go on with or without him.

1) Talk to the SID and/or AD and explain the situation. Let them deal with Coach Asshole.

2) Talk to your SE/ME and explain the situation. If they decide to get involved, sit quietly and watch how it plays out. That's what managers are for.

3) Go about your job without talking to him. Write what you can with whatever access/information you have. Don't let it get personal in print or online. Don't stoop to his level. I've had players/coaches give me the silent treatment before. Never stopped me from doing my job.

Sounds like the season will end this week and then maybe Coach Asshole will have the time needed to reassess life's priorities.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I think this is a great point. Don't let this affect the tone of your game coverage, in either direction. Don't treat anyone with kid gloves so as not to make anyone mad, or take unnecessary shots at anyone because of the situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted