1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So a coach told me to go F*** myself three times today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Are you saying he has a huge dick?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've heard of FAMU HS as well...but then you still wouldn't refer to it as FAMU. Because it's not. It's a HS.

You got yelled at by a HS coach. Boo hoo. You're really thinking about some sort of retribution? Christ.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i forgot to include the words "little stick."

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Any act less than upper-decking the coaches office is cowardly.

By the way, do you want me to tell you who won "I Love Money?"

5. imjustagirl

On top of the PM I just sent you...no. I want you to tell me nothing. Ever again.

Dead. To. Me.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i disagree with the "take it like a man" approach.

granted, i don't think i would have let the "go fuck yourself" line slide by during the interview, but i still think i'd advance the discussion to the next level.

i know if i told any coach to go fuck himself during an interview, that he'd be calling my boss or my boss' boss come monday.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Oh well. I bet you're horrible in the sack anyway. :-*

8. imjustagirl

I said retribution, Tom. The talk of him going to the games just to get the latest blowups in the paper. That's stupid.

Yes, you need to let the AD know. But you also need to not think that everything you write is going to be taken at face value, and you need to not make it personal in your coverage thereafter.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually, IJAG my frieind, schiez said to report the "blowouts" (as in 50-0 losses), not the blowups.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i agree with both posts.

11. imjustagirl

A fine point. I misread. It's a different kind of retribution, but still, going to that team's games when they're losing every week rather than covering a team which may deserve coverage is a petty, personal decision.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

This is a response to the initial post.
    Under no circumstances are you paid to be abused by anyone that you cover. Your first step should be to go to the AD.
    The second step should be to tell your superiors about what happened.
    The third step should be to talk to the coach one on one. I doubt if he would've told you to go fuck yourself had the other reporter not been there.
    At any rate, obviously the coach is pissed off. Tell him if he's pissed off, it's better than being pissed on. However, do remind him that they both give you the same warm feeling.
    Good luck. I'm anxious to read what happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted