1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So a coach told me to go F*** myself three times today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Oct 4, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

The minute he says "go fuck yourself," you say "thanks, coach," and walk away.
    Then you go talk to the players and see what they think.
    Then you do write your story and go home.
    Then you let it die until next time you see him, when, as you said, he'll probaby apologize.
    Then you get the fuck over it and go on with life.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A.) Who refers to a HS as "Podunk U?" I mean, you do realize "U" stands for University?

B.) Tell the coach I owe him a beer or 10.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Now there's some real professional thinking.

4. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Why did you feel the need to tell the coach about the 117-28 differential? It almost sounds like you were trying to get the response you got.

That doesn't excuse his reaction.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Also, using an injured high school kid as a comparison to the team's score isn't really appropriate, unless it was something pertient, like the kid was taken off on an ambulance on the first play of the game and the team couldn't concentrate for the rest of the game.

You have to remember that these are high school kids. Not excusing the coach's behavior, but I don't blame him for being unhappy if you had written a lede like "Johnny Buttfucker limped off on one play on Saturday. North Bumfuck played like they were limping all game, losing 46-0."

6. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

What he said.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Now, now. Play nice, imjustagal. ;)

When I saw the name of the thread, then the thread-starter, I think I was less surprised than when pallister said he's had his license suspended before.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

waco university high school in texas. a few years ago, had an ad sales lady ask why the local team was having to play a college team in the playoffs.

as for the douchebag coach, if you actually have the incident on tape, simply visit with the a.d. and play the tape. if you don't get a satifactory response, which should include an apology from the coach, go to the next school board meeting and play the tape during the public comments session.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Please, people. Grow up. Get over it. Move on.

If you get into a pissing contest with a looser coach, the AD, the BoE and the freaking public will back him every time and you'll look like an even bigger jerk.
    Shit happens in this business, all the time. Coaches, from Little League to pros, act like assholes all the time. You laugh at them, and go about your business in a professional manner.

Obviously, this team scuks, isn't going to come close to winning a game al season. So why cover them? Just to make sure their "latest blowout gets in the paper"?
    What juvenile nonsense.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I didn't mention anything about how bad his team was sucking. I've tried asking him questions (all season long really) that focus more on what the team did wrong and how it can improve vs. how bad they got their butts handed to them so that it at least seemed the coach had faith in his kids.

I gave this guy plenty of chances to balance the story with positive quotes about his kids. He chose instead to be a hothead and storm out.

No, I get him being mad at me for that, but I felt it was appropriate given the circumstances. Kid goes down, at halftime he's sitting on the team bench and his teammates keep coming over to him to see how he's doing. There's barely a word spoken. I felt his injury was kind of the "oh, great, now this" moment of the game and given their lack of success, felt the doom and gloom of it spoke to the doom and gloom to how they've begun their year thus far.

Guess I should have used blue font for that. Didn't you see back on, i think, page 1 that I'm going to make sure this doesn't influence me one way or another in terms of actually doing my job? When I say stupid things like that, it's because this is a message board and I need to vent.

I threw Podunk U in there simply as a generic name. Next time, I'll be sure to call it Podunk HS as to not confuse the lesser minded. :)

Also, I'll let him know about the beer. He seems like the type of guy who would love to go out for a drink and end up in a telephone pole.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Obviously, it already has influenced you in a negative way.

Serioously, get over. This team sucks. No need to cover them. No need to deal with this coach again this season. No need to drag out this pissing contest.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

naw, chief. throwing out the name podunk U inferred it was a d-ii or d-iii school. don't poke ijag in the ribs for your fuckup.

Draft saved Draft deleted