1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So a coach told me to go F*** myself three times today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Oct 4, 2008.

1. The Granny

The Granny Guest

If it's high school just throw a "fuck you" right back at him.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

That made me laugh.

I still don't see how, in terms of professionalism, HS is different than any other level though. It's not like I can walk in wearing a shirt that says "No Fat Chicks" just because it's HS (Believe me, I would) so why should I be less offended at this douche-licker than, say, State U's football coach?

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

start out by requesting a meeting with both the AD and the principal. close the door, repeat the same words the coach used for effect. still don't use the "example" part of the argument, because that will reach up and slap them in the face ... it's their job.

the word i'd keep coming back to during the talk with the principal and the AD is professional and inappropriate. such as "i act like a professional when i show up at your school, i expect to be treated ..."

if they blow you off, take it up with the supe. those guys freak the fuck out at the thought of employees acting inappropriately in front of children.

of course, clear this with your SE first.

4. schiezainc

Don't have a SE so that's not a problem.

I'm thinking I'm going to go into the AD's office and simply play the tape (I have the whole thing recorded). I like your idea about the "inappropriate" aspect of it.

When I say example, I don't mean "make an example out of him". I mean he's suppose to "set an example" for how his players handle/conduct themselves. Not to mention that, as a coach, he is representing the school.

If this were the first time the coach flipped out on me or on reporters on the beat, I might be willing to brush it off, chalk it up to him being upset, but he has shown time and again that he's a dick.

I doubt, actually highly doubt, that the AD will blow me off. I've got a pretty good relationship with the school, but since this is the first real-negative experience I've had with them, I'm curious to see how it unfolds.

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I had a coach call me an asshole for interviewing a player I ran into at a volleyball match. I was writing an advance of the school's football game and I needed a quote.

6. schiezainc

This guy is the only coach I've had a real problem with.

Sure, a couple of times, I'd have to deal with coaches from areas we don't cover that don't give a crap about our paper and do what they can to blow us off, but all in all, the coaches I usually deal with are respectful--or at the very least say what needs to be said.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Most of the ones that I dealt with are great.

This guy just wanted me to go through him for interviews and I forgot, the player in question had been interviewed after almost every game, cause he was so talented and usually put up impressive numbers. Problem was he was a bit of a prima donna and coach felt the attention from the paper was going to his head. Coach spoke his mind and after this incident I had no more issues with him.

8. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Standing on the field, wearing my camouflage poncho (so I don't stick out like a sore thumb around these parts) the AD is walking around and turning off the lights. The kids are gone. The fans are gone. It's just me and that stinger from the other local daily (you know, the old guy who wears black socks and penny loafers with shorts and stares at the volleyball girls just a little too much for your tastes).

No cameras. No conference room. No SID. Coach is a local, played at an NAIA college, came back to coach and teach. I covered him for a few years and had to return fire once. Didn't go off, just an inside-voice "fuck you, too."

I wouldn't feel to comfortable doing that in a college environment, however.

9. schiezainc

The thing that made me laugh with the other reporter afterwards as we walked to our cars was that the coach was fine at the beginning of the interview then went balistic and then after finishing his rant continued as if nothing happened.

He started pointing his finger at me while telling me to go f**k myself and I was sincerly hoping he was going to punch me. That would have been awesome in more ways than I can describe.

Now I would have loved to tell him to go f**k himself right back, but felt, at least with the rival reporter standing next to me, that it would have done more harm than good. I could see it now: Rival newspaper has story about me and the coach getting into an argument with quotes and everything. Would not have been good.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Does the coach have a daughter you can bang? Or a nice wife?

11. schiezainc

No, but I do think that he's the kind of guy who will get more and more pissed off as the year goes on. The team is pretty bad and likely to lose all year. Normally, I would try not to cover them (to do them a favor) but I think in this situation I may cover them each and every week just to get the latest blowout in the paper.

As long as I write it fair and as it happens, I don't see the problem with it.

12. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Should we report the coach to the mods?

Draft saved Draft deleted