1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Snowpocalypse 2: Snowmageddon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 23, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Following last week's big dump, here's even more of the same unloading on the Midwest, with flights cancelled and the whole works:<blockquote>OMAHA, Neb. – A major winter storm is promising to bring a white Christmas to much of the nation's midsection, though countless holiday travelers faced slick roads and scattered flight delays and cancellations Wednesday that only looked to get worse.

Snow was forecast across a large swath of the Plains and the Midwest, with a foot or two possible by Christmas Day. The storm also was expected to dump sleet and heavy rain as it treks eastward. Blizzard warnings were likely on Christmas Eve in Kansas.

"This is a huge system," said Rick Hiltbrand, a meteorologist with National Weather Service in Chanhassen, Minn. "It's just going to kind of sit there through the weekend."

By late Wednesday morning, parts of Nebraska were coated with ice that was up to 1/4-inch thick. . . .

Slippery roads were blamed for at least three deaths. A Colorado woman was killed Tuesday when her SUV apparently hit black ice and slid across a median in western Nebraska. The Kansas Highway Patrol said an eastbound car on Interstate 70 in Thomas County spun out of control Tuesday night, crossed the median and was struck by a westbound tractor-trailer, killing both people in the car.

South Dakota Gov. Mike Rounds declared a state of emergency Tuesday. The National Weather Service in Sioux Falls warned of treacherous travel conditions from Wednesday through Friday night, calling the storm "life threatening." . . .

A tropical jet stream pumping in moisture from the storm's south was likely to cause plenty of snow as the storm headed into the Plains and the Midwest. Heavy rain was possible in the Mississippi and Ohio valleys and the Ozarks.

Winter storm warnings stretched from Colorado through the Dakotas and into Minnesota on Wednesday. They also were issued for parts of the Four Corners region. By midmorning, snow was falling along Colorado's Front Range. The heaviest accumulations were around Greeley and Fort Collins, where up to 5 inches had fallen.</blockquote>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091223/ap_on_re_us/us_holiday_storm

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I guess there are plenty of snow-covered hills for Stevie Nicks to see her reflection in.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A friend in Missouri says they've got a tornado watch and a winter storm watch at the same time.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Interesting... can't say I've heard of snornado

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You've never heard me taking a nap.

Oh, wait, did you mean a snownado?

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Just talked to my folks and they're waiting to see if my sister and her family can get there in time, in southern Minnesota. It's a race against the clock and the storm. His biggest worry was whether they're bringing along their oversize dog.

"God damn thing looks like a deer running through the house."

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I can't wait until Friday, when we get hit with the freezing rain. Yay!

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Trade you for the rain and 20-30-30 mph wind...

9. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Yes, work and the recently started blizzard is keeping me from family during Christmas this year. :(

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Some families, that's a good thing

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They're saying whiteout conditions in DFW by noon.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Sucks to be ya'll! We still have a shit ton of snow on the ground. But we also have rain coming to finally wash that shit away.

Draft saved Draft deleted