1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

This shows how subjective comedy is. I thought it was one of the better episodes this season. Loved the open and even though it’s played, I like the Letters Home skits. The irritable bowel skit was juvenile but funny.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Definitely. Some of the ones I love are panned by others. And agree, the IBS sketch was good.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

The study buddy sketch was really funny.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I’m finding the laugh track during Weekend Update increasingly obvious and irritating.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One of the enjoyable things about this season has been seeing some of the underutilized people get their moments. Bowen Yang - shoot that iceberg bit was inspired - "I'm not here to talk about the past - I'm here to talk about my music." was brilliant. Most of the sketches seemed like new people in well-worn templates. And I'm I the only one who was kind of stunned how good Chris Redd's "Obama" was?

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I definitely think there is a disconnect between performer ability and writer's ability to craft for them. Or, since this is ultimately Lorne's show, what he's picking to make air. It does feel like the bits that make Update are stronger than many other things on the show as of late, and you figure that's an area of the show that Jost would have the most control over. When it comes to other aspects of the show, relying way too much on Baldwin, Rudolph and every other celebrity "feels" more like a Lorne thing. While that resulted in some good ratings, I don't think they've done well with a fairly talented cast. (Example - Ego is fantastic on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast, but went horribly underused until this year.)

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen much of the episode yet, but I love how they brought back the Mother's Day bit, like they did 5 or so years ago.

8. nietsroob17

Elon wasn't as bad as I feared. It was harmless when I was worrying it would be like Trump's episode.

I got a hoot out of the Mario Bros. sketch, though Robot Chicken did it better.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Musk was used quite well. The Mario Bros. bit. The Disney mom, the baby Yoda MMA/PED bit. But the "first post-COVID party bit" had me rolling the most.

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

SNL has done far worse. He just seemed like some goofy dude having a good time. The problem is when he's having a good time and says whatever the hell he wants to say, people lose money

11. nietsroob17

The Last Dance parody was incredible, and the Muppet Show sendup was hilarious (though the voice matchups were a bit off.

Keegan Michael Key is soooo great.

PaperClip529, garrow and OscarMadison like this.
  12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Don't know when I've laughed this hard at SNL. I actually love The Muppets, BTW. This edges out Candice Bergen losing her composure and tearing apart a Muppet-like creature on Murphy Brown for funniest puppet abuse.

Inky_Wretch and sgreenwell like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted