1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I think part of it is the male side of the cast doesn't really have much in terms of great impressionists. They've got loads of them on the female side -- but they can't exactly have Kate play EVERY person in Washington, although I'd like to see them try.

I think the guys do better at creating characters, not so much at impersonating other figures. Their best impressionist would probably be Kenan -- but I can't really peg him as a good Trump or Biden for some reason.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I mean, who knows if they can do a good impression? They barely get airtime. Expanding to the full cast, someone like Ego is great on Comedy Bang Bang, but she's barely used on the show because they have 20 damn people, and even they have to fight for airtime against celebrities for the meatier parts.

Lorne the past five years with SNL has reminded me more of when a sports team has an aging owner - Just tons of "win now!" signings. I'm sure Carey will help to maintain the ratings they have, but by giving him and others the best political roles the last couple of years, you've kneecapped your ability to have the existing cast members surprise and thrive.

Iron_chet likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Perhaps as bad as the stunt casting is bringing back the former members for a reprise.

I could see Alex Moffatt or Mikey Day pulling off a Biden, they've got the head for it. It is amazing to think how non-chalant they were when it came to casting an "Obama" (Fred Armisen, really?). Might be the idea that you need a "strong personality/big name" to go up against Baldwin. I really hope Baldwin starts playing Trump as less of a doof and more of a mentally challenged, doddering old man with evil in his heart.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Should be fun. Trying and failing to think of SNL political “outside” casting before Tina Fey in 2008. And she wasn’t far removed from head writer/Weekend Update.

Kinda surprised Jim Carrey signed on. But his Biden could be great.

SNL ratings go up during election years. Guessing they’ll be pretty huge this fall.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    playthrough and sgreenwell like this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I think Sudeikis would have been the choice but he’s filming S2 of Ted Lasso right now.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Chris Rock to host opener on Oct. 3. Back in studio. Assume very few if any in audience. That’s not gonna be easy without audience energy.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Yeah - figure they are re-working the cold open as we speak.

9. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

Tonight is going to be really interesting. How many Trump jokes do you make when who knows what his actual condition is?

Wenders likes this.
  10. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Chris Rock: "My prayers are with COVID."

Yep. Gloves are off.

Wenders likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

SNL basically said Kamala Harris is the real presidential candidate and would be in charge of the country.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And Faux News says AOC will be. Who to believe?

Draft saved Draft deleted