1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Easily the most laugh-free SNL in years. Don Cheadle deserved better, I get the sense the writing staff had no idea who he was.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Overused: Singing in the monologue, or their attempts at original songs. Feels like they have five misses for every "Lazy Sunday" or "Twin Bed."

Underused: When they tie skits to existing music. I always liked the bizarre French dancing skits, and the sketch with HAIM and the Hunger Games guy singing Outfield, and apparently the only thing good on the Don Cheadle show was the "Lollipop" sketch. Apparently it is trickier to clear the music for re-broadcasts, but man, it pays off more often.

https://news.avclub.com/last-nights-snl-sort-of-sucked-but-that-lollipop-ske-1832683327

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

That was by far the best sketch of the night

4. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

Even though I hate to agree with anything that Dennis Perkins writes, that sketch was fun. I enjoyed the baking sketch as well. I actually thought the episode had a few "Ha ha" moments. I was never rolling on the ground, but I've watched a lot worse TV.

5. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Thanks to Michael Cohen, I think Ben Stiller has been on SNL more than when he actually WAS on SNL.

6. DanOregon

The first 30 min. of SNL is as good as the show has ever been. Not sure if Mullaney raises the game of the writers, he writes a lot of his stuff or is allowed to dig out sketches he wrote which were rejected when he worked there - I both suspect and can't believe the bodega sketch was rejected when it was originally written. And Hader as Jordan:"I'm so angry I can't even wear a COAT!" is going to stay with me forever.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The bodega sketch is a follow-up to the diner sketch from the first time he hosted, which was one that had been previously rejected.

I'm disappointed with Hader on they didn't do a Stefon so Mullaney could write the crazy changes in it again.

8. nietsroob17

I was also praying for Stefon on Update. I'm wondering if Update got cut off, because it was a pretty abrupt send-off by Colin, and they usually have two skits within Update. I wonder if Aidy and Kate went long with the meat ladies.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It was a really good episode, but that skit was awful.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Something went weird with WU...Colin burst out laughing at the end about something that appeared to happen off camera.

Meanwhile, the highlight of the show on social media was Twitter shredding the musical guest, some dude name Thomas Rhett...or as one person noted, "the Billy Ray Cyrus of Kenny Chesney's"

11. DanOregon

Apparently the meat smelled really, really bad.

12. nietsroob17

Wonder if Aidy or Kate had to spew after that skit.

Draft saved Draft deleted