1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the Meet the Parents cold open.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If Mulaney takes another stab at a sitcom - doing a show set in the 50s but with a current comic sensibility and all the "varnish" scrubbed away could be great.
    We think of Dick Van Dyke and I Love Lucy - no obvious sexism, overt racism, no irony or sarcasm. - add those back in - full of people making jokes at Eisenhower and Nixon's expense. Black List jokes "He keeps saying he's been blacklisted - the truth is he just couldn't write a lick and nobody wants to hire him."

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I absolutely hated his sitcom, but I knew Mullaney would do some good stuff last night. This was his wheelhouse.

4. DanOregon

The Lobster diner sketch was rejected at a table read eight years ago. Switcheroo - nine years ago. Glad Mulany finally got to see them used.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I did a Q&A with him before the sitcom debuted. They sent screeners and I couldn't believe how far it was from the genius of George St. Geegland.

After we talked, I definitely got the impression what he wanted to do and what FOX wanted didn't line up and the network got its way.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Even with that though, I kinda liked it. Like it was odd and different from a lot of the network sitcoms airing at the time.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I just “found” him a few weeks ago, via standup specials on Netflix. Now, possibly his biggest fan. If you are, too, check out the Paleyfest episode focused on Late Night with Seth Meyers (on Amazon Prime or YouTube). It’s Mullaney interviewing Meyers, and god do they have fun.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

May 5: Donald Glover & Childish Gambino.
    May 12: Amy Schumer & Kacey Musgraves.
    May 19: Tina Fey & Nicki Minaj.

Damn, Nicki was just on last month. Wonder if she'll drop at Coachella 2.0 this weekend.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I thought Larry Sinclair’s appearance was funnier.

Thankfully the New York Times chronicled this, so I didn’t miss it.

10. DanOregon

What's the deal with SNL's audio tonight - crowd and music mics are working but nothing else.

11. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I'm a sucker for the cast + moms gimmick and I LOVED the high school graduation ad. The rest of Saturday's episode? Take out the "Best day of my life" short, and ouch.

12. DanOregon

Must have just been my feed. Thought it was one of the better eps. Lil Rent, Graduation, Best Day, HandMaid's Tale being highlights.

Draft saved Draft deleted