1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

3. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

After a promising monologue, the show just fell off the rails, especially for a pre-Christmas finale, which they usually pull out all the stops for.

Best parts were the Christmas medley by the Foos and seeing how good the cast could skate (fail for Cecily, Leslie, Melissa and Che).

Kenan was skating pretty well out there. Once a Mighty Duck, always a Mighty Duck I guess.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I thought some of the sketches with Hart were pretty good.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The "I Just Bought a Boat Guy" cracks me up and Hart as Shaq is great but not much else there to make me laugh.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

When was that?

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Comedy is always subjective. But the last two seasons of the show have been very good. The cast is good, particularly Kate McKinnon.

Last season’s ratings were the highest in something like 20 years. In an era when ratings for nearly everything are going down. As a stat, that backs up that the show has been good. People don’t keep watching something that’s not good.

Of course, to each their own.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wish they would cut back on the videos. Granted a video can usually be a safer play, but there is nothing better than watching a sketch, maybe the first time you see a character and it just blows up and you get the live reaction. Even the best videos don't land like that.

jr/shotglass and Vombatus like this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I don't watch much SNL, but I caught both Colonel Angus, Sweaty Balls and More Cowbell live and thought I was going to need to take a hit off my asthma inhaler for laughing so hard.

SNL can be great. It's not appointment TV for me anymore though. When a skit is outstanding, you usually track it down online in a day or so.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Like I've said before, even when it's been less than its best, it's always been the best option if you're around a TV at 11:30 p.m. on a Saturday night.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The first Debbie Downer sketch, first appearance of Angry Old Guy (Dana Carvey), first Jebediah Atkinson, first Drunk Uncle...all just completely killed. Sometimes they will put together a great character, sometimes they will have a character say funny things and sometimes you can see a character that can have legs and be re-used. Its rare when you get all three. (though the Debbie Downer thing lost steam quickly after the first one) WHAAAAA-whaaaaaaaaa.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Thank goodness I haven't wasted any time watching that dreck. Oh, wait, I just wasted five minutes on it. Shame on me.

Draft saved Draft deleted