1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

I find the ice cream shop skit insanely funny. They even ended with at least a bit of a kicker, rather than just awkwardly ending the sketch, like they so often do. It was a pretty solid episode, I thought...

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

That clown sketch really went THERE. All it needed was product placement for Duralube.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

"There's no protocol for whatever is happening here."

Ace likes this.
  4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Last night...a big pile of suck Timberlake could not have saved.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Keep the Boston kids sketch with Fallon and Rachel Dratch, throw the rest of it out.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The fact they stuck that and the basketball movie scene at the tail end tells me they didn't even realize how weak some of their stuff was this week. I liked those two and the Civil War campfire. But Family Feud and the middle school play were just crap.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The middle school play was the quintessential 11:55 sketch.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That's disappointing. They had a pitch-perfect sendup of "Carmen Sandiego" ready to go and then ... nothing.

Della9250 likes this.
  9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

SERIOUSLY. They had a perfect Lynn Thigpen, Greg, Rockapella and then it just ended. wtf.

Also is this 90s night on SNL? Carmen Sandiego, Real World, The Boy is Mine...

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I could've had a whole half hour on Where in the World is Kellyanne Conway. I was all about some Carmen Sandiego as a kid.

Wenders and dixiehack like this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was remembering when I hoped an episode had Jebidiah Attkinson in it - figuring Killam could make any episode worthwhile. Tonight made me think it's time to change the thread title.
    The greatest improvement has been in the non-political sketches. It's easy to riff on the events of the week and make fun of powerful people. Not so easy to introduce an idea with no prior context and make it work.
    I know people criticize the pre-taped, "non-live" bits, but I'll take pre-taped funny over a live "meh" "talk show" or "classroom" sketch.
    The Pine monologue was perfect and am I the only one kind of shocked he's going grey? Or was that funny?
    Hell, I even found the odd musical at least interesting to watch. They looked like a band of school teachers who jam on the weekend playing prog rock.
    Cotton-candy dance party. Tremendous.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling the Where in the World sketch is going to make a big return in one of these last couple episodes, if not early next season. There will be a lot of talk about why that didn't go anywhere and a lot of people upset it didn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted