1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It would be tough to live up to the hype for the Baldwin episode. And it didn't. Very good, but not great.

Spicer bit was funny, but not as funny as the first time. The Kellyanne/Fatal Attraction was, to me, the best of the night. Trump on People's Court was pretty good.

2. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I've mostly avoided this show for years because it stopped being funny. Do they even try to develop non-political characters any more, or do they just skewer real people? I have to think that would get tired, regardless of one's political affiliation.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

They hit on McCarthy as Spicer and already I can tell they're going to ride it into the ground. Next week is a rerun, thankfully.

McKinnon as Sessions has some potential though.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think different casts and writing groups have different wheelhouses. After all, most of the only memorable stuff from the 2006-2012 or so era was pre-taped Lonely Island bits. They never really got Obama, partially because Jay Pharoah had a great impression but weak material. The previous election and the Trump administration are rather low-hanging fruit.

5. Twirling Time

I thought this week was the best episode of the year, so far as the number of funny skits. McKinnon with the Forrest Gump Sessions open was brilliant and of course the TBD clip was spot on.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

SNL doesn't even need Baldwin anymore to drive Trump crazy. Between Sessions, the Don Jr. and Eric bit on WU, and the pullback shots of Kellyanne on her knees with the smartphone going to commercials, they are getting in his skull.
    There's a lot of WTF on social media about him this morning, but Father John Misty's "Pure Comedy" may have been the best musical performance on the show (complete with bad white-boy dancing) since Florence Welch dropped that gigantic 15-second note at the end of the bridge of "No Light No Light."

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I was among the WTF faction. ;)

8. Max Garcia

Max Garcia Member

Intellectual Froglegs is 10x more funny than SNL.

New media kickin butt

9. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Watching dust bunnies is 10X funnier than SNL.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Bullshit. Still better than any other TV option late Saturday night. It's only become useless at the cool kids' table.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  11. Twirling Time

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

SNL is having a great season. Obviously, lots of material to work with, so that helps.

I'm sure it angers the Trumpers. Which is fine. Even without them watching, the ratings are through the roof.

Draft saved Draft deleted