1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL with Peyton Manning

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Just_An_SID, Mar 24, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No complaints. That opening United Way spoof was outstanding and NCAA pool was funny. I don't go into SNL expecting too much great stuff anymore, but Manning was enough of a novelty to get me through.

Dan Patrick asked Lorne Michaels on ESPN radio about other athletes SNL has wanted to host but haven't landed. Tiger Woods is at the top of the list, they haven't made it work schedule-wise (allegedly). Too bad.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I didn't see the show, but if they didn't have Peyton Manning think to himself, "I'm going upstairs to masturbate," then the show was a failure.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I thought it was excellent ... and the cartoon was the best in a couple of years.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

My gut reaction to Tiger hosting is that it would be worse than Gretzky's. The only redeeming part of the Great One's appearance was "Waikiki Hockey."

And Pope, I thought the final skit would have had a similar line, but alas the best we got was "I have a pig's vagina" from Kristen Wiig.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Cut that meat (loaf) ... Cut that meat (loaf)
    Peyton Manning and the United Way was the funniest thing I've seen in a while.
    And the NCAA pool sketch was good as well.
    I would have liked to have seem them work Eli into a sketch, but it was decent.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

One of the all-time shock moments of SNL. Honest to God.

I remember watching that when it originally aired and did a double take when Joe Montana said the line. It was awesome.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Simply outstanding.

Seriously, the board could write a better SNL in 90 minutes.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Did they do an Idol sketch with Underwood?

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

The key to this, of course, would be to have a cast member (or several) scrambling madly to get into position before he shouted "Action!" Then they could have one of the big-name referees throw a flag because said cast member wasn't set for a full count.

They should have had one where she dumps Romo for a "real" quarterback. (And then follow that up with the Brady-esque baby.)

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I only saw about 30 minutes of it when I got home from a game but I'll admit I laughed a couple of times at the sketch with the annoying girl at the party who kept interrupting everyone. We've all run into somebody like that, no?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I went in fearing the worst ... and Peyton was actually pretty good.

Lord knows he's had a lot of practice in front of the camera with all his commercials ....

The monologue was predictable and he stumbled once but recovered. But the United Way spot was ROFL funny. I usually punch out on the segment after Weeekend Update, but what I saw of the show was decent.

12. Sly

Sly Active Member

1) I will never understand why they keep doing that Tim Calhoun sketch. I can't even see just one ounce of humor in it.

2) It's easy to see why they changed Bush impersonators (Forte -- who by no coincidence plays Tim Calhoun -- was terrible.) That said, Sudeikis is't much of an improvement.

3) How in the world do you have Peyton Manning on the show and not do a Superfans sketch? I think something where Bears fans would have kidnapped him would be hilarious.

Draft saved Draft deleted