1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL shakeup? Four new cast members, too!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Looks like SNL might be rebuilding. Last week Will Forte said he's not coming back. Then, there's this:

And it looks like there's four new cast members:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/27/new-snl-buzz-paul-brittai_n_697174.html

and:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/03/new-snl-cast-member_n_704584.html

I don't think the show can weather losing Samberg, but everyone else? Buh-bye. It's just too bad that Armisen isn't rumored to be gone. Aside from Thompson, he's the biggest hack on the cast.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Those are bang on impersonations of Smith and Washington.

3. Sports_Scribe

Sports_Scribe Member

WHAT! We can't lose Kenan Thompson! What'll happen to those excellent Grady Wilson sketches? ::)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

This is a huge bomb to drop 22 days before the season premiere (which does not have a host yet - the only announced one is Jane Lynch for the third show). I can't believe NBC lets personnel decisions go this long, especially with Myers as head writer. It's like an NFL head coach heading into training camp not knowing if he'll be on the sideline opening day.
    If the suits feel they need to clear some deadwood, why can't they do it right after the season ends?

5. Sports_Scribe

Sports_Scribe Member

NBC probably realizes that another season of the old SNL will amount to failure, so they decided to change things up. You can't have Betty White appear for every episode.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Now think about what you just said.
    Over the course of its history, this show has lost Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, John Belushi, Dan Ackroyd, Jane Curtin, Gilda Radner, Eddie Murphy, Billy Crystal, Christopher Guest, Will Ferrell, Phil Hartman, Dana Carvey, Tina Fey, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Tracy Morgan, Chris Rock, Mike Myers, Amy Poehler, Adam Sandler and Harry Shearer.
    But it can't survive the loss of Andy Samberg.
    You want to stand behind that statement?

7. Sports_Scribe

Sports_Scribe Member

[​IMG]

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

The loss of Myers hurts. Losing Sudekis is bad. And no Thompson means no more "what up with that."
    I wonder if Samber will take the rest of his boys with him, because they're all writers on staff.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sandbergs, Samberg, Hamburg, what's his name?

Anyway, he is funny as hell. Those digital shorts were awesome.

"I'm on a boat" was nominated for a Grammy.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I cringed at the Grady Wilson sketches, but I love Keenan.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

They need to keep Samberg ONLY for his digital shorts/music videos. That's it. No other reason to have him on the show. Period. He's that bad at everything else.

He and Justin Timberlake should be contracted to create one digital short a month. Minimum.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

SNL has always done it this way. If cast members are leaving on their own they usually intimate it in the final show of the year (Farley,Hartmann), maybe a wave off.
    Figure Forte wasn't impressed with his offer to return and decided to leave. Might be the same with the others. Michaels hires (or lets the rumor slip out) three new people to get returning people to accept a meager raise.
    I don't know why they operate this way, I'm certain it is to put more cash in Michaels pocket. You would think having people locked up by for the coming season by June would give people time to generate some decent material.
    But maybe the reason they don't give the on-screen people a heads-up ahead of the last show is that it is live and they don't want someone getting squirrely.

AND FOR GOD'S SAKE - FIND AN "OBAMA" ALREADY!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted