1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL season premiere: Some hope yet?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Sep 30, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

THERE WAS A JAKE CAMEO?

Sonuvabitch.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

The opening scene was terrible. Those are rarely funny anymore, but this almost didn't even seem like it was written as a comedy... it was just boring and stupid.

LeBron was better on the ESPYs, he didn't have a ton to work with here and didn't score on the level of Manning or Brady.

The Digital Short's seem to be the only thing worthwhile on the show anymore. That was definitely the funniest part of last night.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Spewing pea soup makes it INTO a skit! See the several low brow, easy gag laughs of recent seasons. Oh, and the alien heads climbing out of stomachs on couches.

That's the whole problem with this show. The actors/writers are lazy, not clever.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Just remembered the skit that had a ton of potential, but just didn't deliver: the High School Musical thing seemed to have a lot of potential, but it was flat.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Don't know about the best, but Nancy Kerrigan was by far the worst.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

nancy kerrigan hosted snl? that just sounds painful.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Pretty painful. About the most plastic presence I can remember.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

When's Anna Kournikova going to host?

9. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

The key to making SNL watchable since about 2001 is to watch Mad TV for ten minutes, then change to NBC. Even the bad SNL casts look like the Originals in comparison to the crap on Mad TV.

Ah, who am I kidding? This cast could go down in history with the likes of Gilbert Gottfreid and Charles Rocket.

10. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

As soon as she wins a tournament.

Hopefully some skits will be YouTubed soon.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I humbly disagree. MadTV is more consistently funny, especially Bobby Lee. It's also a helluva lot more topical, which SNL used to pride itself on. I mean, SNL had an entire summer to put something together and the Hillary opening was the best they could come up with? High School Musical 3? Dud. Even Kristin Wiig's mumbling character is starting to get flat.

While I'm at it, anyone else shocked to see Maya Rudolph on the cast? I posted an article last weekend that said she'd left. {EDIT} Nevermind. Revisited that thread, and she apparently changed her mind a day or two later. Missed that.

12. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Peyton was pretty funny. For me, it's a tossup between Derek Jeter and The Rock. (whether you consider The Rock to be an athlete is entirely up to you) I personally watch SNL mostly for the musical guests, and unfortunately, Lorne's gonna fuck that up in two weeks when Jon Bon Jovi hosts and takes away one of the performance slots from the ACTUAL musical guest that week -- Foo Fighters.

Draft saved Draft deleted