1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL season debut with Michael Phelps

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oz, Sep 13, 2008.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Thanks, Shockey. Missed this last night because we were at "Spamalot". Which, BTW, is waaaay funnier than SNL. :D

2. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

He's a terrible reader and that gave me several laughs.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I didn't think it was that bad.
    T-Mobile, the Phelps' diet and the game show skit were all funny.
    The digital short was simply awful.
    Phelps isn't a professional entertainer, so you can't expect much and that's about what he delivered.
    Whay were you expecting? A young Letterman

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No, Phelps was definitely better than that.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

he also has problems speaking.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess what bugs me the most about the show is that 90 percent of the skits fit one of five categories: political take-off, talk show, game show, crazy family, and crazy person.
    And even while the Palin sketch was funny, like the rest of the show, it had more to do with the performers than with the pedestrian, uninspired writing.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

An oral surgeon wouldn't hurt.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've seen Phelps do his language learning commercial and throw in last night's gig on SNL I just don't see that guy doing a lot of public speaking gigs. As great of a swimmer as he is, he doesn't have a dynamic personality.
    Sounds like SNL got a huge rating, but the consensus seems to be "Loved the first sketch, but what the hell happened to the rest of the show?"

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Phelps should show up once every four years. It'll work out to his advantage.

10. Giggity

Giggity Member

Any guesses on what a FLIRG is?

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It's FLRG, appaprently

Fucking Liberal Repulsive Girl

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Phelps wasn't very good, but he wasn't the epic pile of suck Kerrigan was.
    They shouldn't have reprised the coach bit - it was much funnier with Peyton Manning last year (and nobody had to bite their towels to keep from cracking up this time, either).
    Nice camera work and production tricks - didn't see until the goodnights how uuuuuuuge Amy's gotten. She was already showing by last year's finale.

Draft saved Draft deleted