1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL premiere (9/30)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Sep 30, 2006.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Oh come on... Brian Williams as himself sitting down to do Update, saying "don't patronize me, Seth" and then saying dad's gotta go home and tell the wife and two kids why daddy won't be on TV tonight. THAT was priceless.

I thought Clinton/Condi was pretty good... the Hugo Chavez talk show (although it was a retread of McLaughlin Group)... the Killers were great...

Overall, ya, hit and miss.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Brian Williams is a superstar.

What a terrific, natural, comedic turn that was.

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

That was all over the news a few weeks ago. Lorne Michaels said budget cuts meant he either had to reduce the staff or reduce the number of episodes. So he reduced the staff. It was too big anyway. Most of those featured players weren't getting much airtime before.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That made me laugh. "Bush fumbling around with this, because he doesn't understand it!" "No, how about Bush screwing this up because he's an idiot?"

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

the folks who got cut were done a tremendous favor.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Update had some good moments, mainly because of Brian Williams. I thought the Clinton-Condi thing was painful to watch. They did get a laugh out of me on the final update item, though it must not have been that great because I can't remember it now. Al Pacino checks his balance was funny. The water bottle sketch -- even they said at the end that it stopped being funny looooooong ago. (Yeah, so why did it keep going on, huh?) As for the Killers -- I kept thinking 'when did they get Jason Lee (as Earl) as their drummer?'

All told, MADtv is still much, much funnier on their worst day than SNL is on its best.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Brian Williams is a very funny man. The cast of SNL are not very funny people. Every time I see this show, which is maybe twice a year, I think "Terri Schiavo"

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Have you noticed the trend in the past of couple years that the better material shows up after Update? You get the more experimental stuff - some of it bites, but some of the best sketches have come in the last half-hour of the show, where they try to stretch beyond the political and celebrity-driven material.

9. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I thought the Al Pacino sketch was hilarious.

Unfortunately, that was about it.

10. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

To paraphrase Studio 60: "Do you think The Killers can play for an hour and a half?"

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

WHAT THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE --- Instead of yet another lame-ass Bush sketch, SNL shoulda opened with a parody of the Studio 60 opening. Coulda cracked wise about the departed castmates, about Lorne Michaels and the show being dead. That could have been f'in funny, and a little ballsy.

And, please, no more Dane Cook. Someone on another thread recently said he's comedy's "Dave Matthews Band" -- frat boys love him, but he's not really that good. Very aptly put.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Agreed. Williams is one of the all-too-uncommon true effing studs left in journalism.

Draft saved Draft deleted