1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL premiere (9/30)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I have never really watched Dane Cook with my attention undivided.

He is fucking awful.

Like the Ben Affleck of comedy.

I mean.... like ninth-grade stuff.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

he's the a-rod of comedians.

OVERRATED!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, here's agreement for starters.

You know, I thought the cast cuts might be promising. I mean, get new blood in there, stir things up. So what do we find in the first 10 minutes? They don't have one fucking new person in front of the camera.

Not only did they not replace the departed cast members, they don't even have any "featured players" to grow into a role. NOTHING. Not a damn thing.

I find myself comparing this to Mad TV more and more, and SNL just isn't measuring up. Consider the cast they could have if they just used former Mad TV members.

Will Sasso
    Nicole Sullivan
    Debra Wilson
    Mo Collins
    Alex Borstein
    Frank Caliendo (better than Darrell Hammond)

That's better than what SNL has right there.

Watching the third skit of the night, another thing that SNL hasn't figured out. Political humor is not nearly as funny as they think it is. It's all they do anymore. There's a hell of a lot more out there than politics.

I don't know ... this might be the year they lose me for good.

Finally:

-- Fred Armitsen continues to make my skin crawl.
    -- Amy Poehler gets less funny by the year.
    -- Fuck Dane Cook.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Started watching at the start of the TSA skit... didnt make it to the end... call me next year when the cast changes again

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

OK, I hate to admit it, but that Hugo Chavez panel skit was funny.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

So Dane Cook carries a purse?

Right on, shottie. I always felt Mad TV got a bad wrap...very funny parodies/impersonations (well, most of the time).

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hmmm. I like the Killers. Lead singer seems like a latter-day David Byrne.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

What I find funny is Studio 60 kind of slapped SNL across the face as a show which just focuses on lame President Bush jokes/skits. So what does SNL lead with? A lame Bush skit. I mean to open up a new season with that crap. Horrible.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Still waiting to see some acknowledgment of Studio 60 on the show. Really weak if there isn't one.

10. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

There was a lame attempt in the show's commercial with Dane and the Killers.

Update blew. Seth sucks.
    However, I did like Al Pacino checks his bank account.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

There was a Studio 60/30 Rock reference in the bit about the guys who steal Poland Spring water. Or something like that. The unfunny skit was padded an extra five minutes by, I kid you not, empty water bottles falling out of a closet.

This show sucks beyond belief. Take it and The Sporting News behind the shed with a rifle and a hose to clean up afterward.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

OK, the GEICO/Whitney Houston commercial was funny.

"I lost control of my bowels."

Draft saved Draft deleted