1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL, Oct 31 (Affleck and McCain)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Nov 2, 2008.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

ben affleck gets waaaay too much crap from this board. he's got excellent comedy chops and some decent acting chops. his role/movie choices have often been poor, though.

and he showed great promise as a director with "gone baby gone."

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

after the opening, i never even cracked a smile, much less laughed.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ouch. That's just wrong.

4. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

According to politico.com, Olbermann apparently snuck into the closed set rehearsal on Friday, causing Affleck some serious discomfort while going through the Countdown sketch. I have to agree that Affleck does very well in this format - I hate Kristen Wiig's Target Lady character, but Affleck completely saved that sketch.

Oh yeah, did I mention David Cook and his completely awesome band were COMPLETELY AWESOME?

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

On another site I heard Olbermann actually got a kick out of the sketch. He wasn't pissed at all. Ben did a great job with Countdown.

I LOVED Kenan doing Whoopi. That's sure to be on Hot Topics Monday morning.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I watched a full SNL last night for the first time in ages. I love Kirsten Wiig but that Target Lady sketch was awful. Night School Musical was funny, as was Affleck as Olbermann. Not a bad show all around.

I'd read about David Cook in Rolling Stone but don't watch American Idol. he's certainly not the worst musical guest I've seen.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, no. David Cook can sing a little bit. I hope they find better songs for him down the line, though.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

david cook has some pipes. thank gawd he saved us from archeleta.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Didn't see the opening until this morning (tuned in late last nite, just caught end of monologue). Meh.
    Loved the Olbermann parody. Hated the View, 'cept for Affleck's Baldwin (dead on). Hated Target Lady, Night School was mediocre and way to long, was surprised that McCain was booed at WU desk. Singing "experts" on WU: FAIL, yet again. Really missed Poehler.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Shit, I'd forgotten that singing experts thing. Horrific beyond words.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Same here.

Ninety minutes (or so) of abject suck.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ben Affleck can't read and talk at the same time... am seeing that on his olbermann skit...

Draft saved Draft deleted