1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL, Oct 31 (Affleck and McCain)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

As a long time fan of SNL, I generally agree. The only thing that saved it the past month is the election campaign. It's been good for about 45 minutes the past three or four Saturdays.

2. newgrad2008

newgrad2008 New Member

I thought most of tonight's show was pretty funny. Several laugh out-loud moments for me, including the opening sketch, Night School Musical.

3. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I agree the QVC skit was really good, especially the McCain Fine Gold. And I thought Affleck had Olbermann dead-on, especially some of the body tics and all. And he was really funny in that Target skit. That one was a stretch for him.

4. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Ben Afleck as Keith Olbermann was hilarious.

He really has him and all his movements down.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm amazed some of you actually put yourselves through any of SNL if it's such unadulterated crap.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I was taping it and was half an hour behind b/c I was watching a DVD. I kept watching it to see if it would just keep getting worse. It did.

Most weeks I just watch the first skit, then channel surf til shortly after midnight before heading back for Weekend Update.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Affleck as Olbermann ... outstanding. Absolutely outstanding.

That is much more credit than I ever thought I'd give Ben Affleck. But he showed me some chops there.

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

This McCain one's pretty funny. And now I'm turning it off.

"gotcha return policies that violate your first amendment rights"

"I am not going anywhere. And I am certainly not going back to Alaska."

"A true maverick. A Republican without money."

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

McCain was good, couldn't believe people booed him, but his material was some of the best stuff they've had this year. His "new" campaign strategies, going "double maverick," or "sad grandpa."
    The View skit went nowhere except it showed off Affleck's effective Alec Baldwin impersonation. Liked "Night School Musical." Enjoyed the Olbermann skit (probably a bit long) but the "how dare you, sir" and the shifting camera angles was dead on. KO was overripe for parody.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The show comes up a few levels when they have a host who actually likes to be on the show (Baldwin, Goodman, Affleck) are the three who come to mind.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Baldwin should host every week. He's gold there.

12. Sly

Sly Active Member

"Night School Musical" was hysterical, especially Affleck's part.

I also thought Kenan Thompson had a great show, first as Whoopi, then as Grady Wilson giving sex tips. "I call this one the "Yeah, that's good."

Draft saved Draft deleted