1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL 9/25 (a/k/a "another season of discontent")

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Not a bad opening. Pretty friggin' funny, actually. I think O'Donnell might be this season's Palin for SNL.

My satisfaction is short-lived, tho, as they roll the cast credits. Damn, Keenan Thompson's still there. Shit.

On the other hand, the monologue dream sequence was pretty good, too.
    Dratch: "Poehler-bear!"
    Poehler: "Dratch-bear!"
    Dratch: "No! (pointing behind Poehler) Polar bear! Polar bear!"
    (Polar bear attacks and drags her away)
    Dratch: "Avenge me! Avenge me!"

I miss Rachel Dratch.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Sad reminder of the screwing Rachel got by the NBC suits who banished her after the 30 Rock pilot.
    Somebody on their writing staff lurks here - they copped the Sesame Street line about Katy Perry's frontals.

3. Killick

To this day, I think one of the funniest things 30 Rock did was with Dratch. I don't think it made the on-air stuff — I think I saw on it the DVDs — but she played a blue Schmoo-like character that Tracy kept seeing around on one episode as he was flipping out.

4. Killick

Well, WU was okay - got a boost by the appearance of the real Gov. Paterson (he verged into preachy from time to time, but participated in some of the jokes, including walking, lost, onto screen after his bit was done).

His best moments:
    • "SNL is a lot like working in Albany: There are a lot of characters, it's fun for about 10 minutes, but then you just want it to be over."
    • "You guys made so much fun of me being blind, I forgot I was black!"
    EDIT: His cameo — http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/26/david-patersons-snl-appea_n_739471.html

Second half really dragging, tho. And I have to admit, with Katy Perry as the musical host, I'm a little disappointed there was no cameo from Russell Brand.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Rachel Dratch is hilarious and I've seen the original 30 Rock pilot where she was dreadfully miscast in the "Jenna" role. They should have kept her in a supporting role though. Fey has said as much, but she was scared they were going to cancel the show.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Where can you find the original 30 Rock pilot? Curious to see it now ...

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've never understood the animosity people have about Jane Krakowski replacing Dratch in that role. I have a brother-in-law who is a raging British TV snob, and he can't watch "30 Rock" without raging about how "Americans don't like to watch unattractive people on TV!" Does the same thing with the American "Office."

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wow, has your bro in law ever seen the original Coupling? Doesnt support his argument?

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oops, 2nd question mark unintentional

10. Killick

Oh, man. I still have a huge crush on the blond from the OG Coupling. Sarah Alexander. Bonus: She's a MILF now.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Yes, I can't get enough of Judah Friedlander, Scott Adsit, Rainn Wilson, Leslie David Baker, Brian Baumgartner, Kate Flannery and Phyllis Smith.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You can find it on the torrent sites. I think it's on the box set of the first season as well.

Also, the original pilot of Big Bang Theory did not have Kaley Cuoco.

Draft saved Draft deleted