1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL -- 5/8 .. now with 100 percent more Betty White

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Mar 11, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

(PEOPLE.com) -- It's official: Betty White will host NBC's Saturday Night Live on May 8, WNBC News announced Thursday morning.

Besides featuring the "Golden Girl," who was the subject of a Facebook campaign to get her the gig, the special Mother's Day episode will also reunite six former female "SNL" cast members, most of whom happen to be moms: Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Molly Shannon, Maya Rudolph, Ana Gasteyer and Rachel Dratch.

The show's creator-producer, Lorne Michaels, told USA Today that the Facebook campaign, which kicked in after White's Super Bowl commercial for Snickers, "took on a groundswell. [White as the host] isn't something we would have said no to, [but the campaign] validated that, 'Oh, that'd be fun' ... It was the outpouring of affection from fans, and we feel the same way."

And while White, 88, has no children of her own -- except for her golden retriever, Pontiac -- Michaels justifies her Mother's Day appearance by explaining, "She's the mother of us all in comedy."

---
    please don't let them fuck it up...

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I might actually watch SNL for the first time in my life. I love Betty White.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

could be AWESOME! HECK, SHOULD BE AWESOME!! 8) ;D ;)

i fear it will disappoint greatly. :( :( :(

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

She'll be great. Having Fey on board won't hurt either.

SNL can be good, but it's usually because of a great host (Baldwin, Timberlake, Affleck or a former cast member) or great guest stars (Fey, Poehler etc...).

I was never a big Poehler fan, but she's 1,000X better than any of the women on the show now.

Seth Meyers is the worst Weekend Update host in at least 20 years. He's dreadful.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

She's 88? Jesus! Who is hosting May 15, Spnited?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Great idea, especially bringing back the other women. Wonder if they'll do a Golden Girls skit.

I'll be rooting for Betty.

7. Mizzougrad96

I'm guessing a Golden Girls skit would be a little depressing since two of them recently died.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just for "Weekend Update," they should bring back that ignorant slut, Jane Curtin.

9. Mizzougrad96

Her cameo on 30 Rock a few months back was hilarious.

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

they'd play it up as a nice homage to them.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

She's the female Shatner and Vigoda. Takes someone with smarts to play vapid the way she has her whole career

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not that recently, Bea Arthur was April of last year and Estelle Getty in July 2008 (I thought they were more recent too, had to google it). Like budcrew said, one of those things that could be cool if they did it right. But who knows, SNL is so hit and miss now. I'll still watch though.

Draft saved Draft deleted