1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL 5/7

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, May 7, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Why is Black History Month always February? Because The Man won't give us 31 days."

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

For sketch comedy, Rock was used better on In Living Color. "50 cents? Good LORD, that's a lot of money!"

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought Rock was good on SNL, but nothing he's done on TV or in the movies even comes close to touching his stand up. People expect his movies to be as funny as he is doing stand up and that's an impossible standard to hold him to.

Rock wants a career like Eddie Murphy, but he doesn't fit into that role. His standup is a lot smarter that Murphy's was (even though both were brilliant), but I don't think he's ever come close to equaling Murphy's film success.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

With the Bolton video exploding online, they have to do a follow-up right? Bolton goes back to the studio and apologizes for what happen, they agree to work together again and Bolton does it again with three or four other movies.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Exactly. One minute on liberals and conservatives outdistances the entire body of his TV and movie work.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

A big difference was that Eddie Murphy looked like a leading man circa Beverly Hills Cop. Chris Rock never did. I agree his stand up is by far his best stuff, but Everybody Hates Chris might have been the best family sitcom of the past 20 years.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Does Rock actually perform in 'Everybody Hates Chris' or does he just do voice over work.
    I'm not putting Rock down. I think the guy is hysterical and very talented. It's just that sketch stuff and characters doesn't seem to be his strength.
    And I liked Nat X, too.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

He did the voice over work, was a guest star once or twice and wrote and created the thing. He wasn't the Ray Ramano or Jerry Seinfeld of the show, but I'd give him a lot of credit.

9. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

I preferred Perspectives, with Lionel Osborne.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I know he has a lot of creative input, but as a comic performer he's not that kind of performer. His strength isn't taking on a character or persona.
    A realize that doing stand-up is a persona.
    Seinfeld can't do it, either. They tailored the sitcom to suit what he does, to fit him.
    I love both comics, but what they do is different from what Phil Hartman or John Belushi or Will Ferrell do.
    Somebody like Eddie Murphy can do both extremely well, but I think most people fall into one category or the other.

Draft saved Draft deleted