1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL 5/21/11

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lisa_simpson, May 21, 2011.

1. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Also, I would have no objections to getting stuck in a Tunnel of Love with Jason Sudeikis. I'm just saying.

2. joeggernaut

joeggernaut Member

What's That Name had me rolling.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

A coworker told me that it was especially ironic that Abby Elliott was dressed like Peggy Olson in the What's My Word sketch, because Armisen's divorce from Zoey Bartlet Elisabeth Moss was finalized this week and it's believed that Armisen is dating Elliott.

Frankly, they can dress Abby up like Merlin Olson and she'd still be pretty hot. Though I'd gladly settle for the exotic charms of one Nasim Pedrad.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

My God, that was one of the best SNL's in years. (I know, I know, given SNL's quality that doesn't say much, but Timberlake seems to bring the A game and a lot of energy every time he hosts. Gaga surprisingly had pretty good acting chops, too.)

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Completely agree. Solid from start to finish.

Timberlake pulled off quite an accomplishment because -- and I know I'm not alone in this -- I came into this episode knowing exactly what I wanted: A callback to Omeletville, a goofy digital short with Samberg, some Robin Gibb and plenty of self-deprecation. And Timberlake delivered, with a couple quality assists from Gaga. A credit to him and to the characters he's developed.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Pretty good effort. Still... c'mon. They had to drag out the Password-esque sketch yet again to let Wiig ham it up for three minutes in a thoroughly unfunny bit? Ugh. The rest was pretty damned good, so it's still a heck of a batting average.

Now, since the season's done: I can only strenously hope Seal Team 6 is reassigned, storms Fred Armisen's apartment at 2 a.m. some lonely night and shoots him in the face. It seems the only way to stop his terroristic attacks on comedy.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Those 90 minutes are a good reason why I'll keep watching. That was fabulous.

I don't think anybody is a better SNL host than Timberlake at his point. I'm not even sure it's close (sorry, Mr. Baldwin).

8. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

A couple things come to mind:
    1. Years ago, there was talk of making Billy Crystal the permanent host of SNL. They never did it.
    2. Timberlake has been rumored to be interested in becoming a cast member for a couple years.

How about putting the two together? Timberlake becomes the permanent host of SNL for a certain stretch of time, and instead of getting regular hosts, they work on getting inspired cameos.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

JT is the best host out there, and that includes Alec Baldwin.

I'm old, but the whole Lady Ga Ga appeal completely escapes me.

BRING IT ON DOWN TO LIQUORVILLE!!!!

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Nothing will touch Omeletville. Good episode, though.

11. Almost agree.
    That was easily the best episode I have seen in the last 20 years. EASILY.

The last two skits (password and the old reporter) pulled the show down. The rest was gold.
    Loved Lady Gaga in the skits.
    JT is hilarious.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That was awesome. I'm totally trying out Helicopter Dick tonight.

Yes. Oh dear God, yes.

Don't know if they'd ever try it, or if it would work for JT, but I'd watch this week-in and week-out.

Draft saved Draft deleted