1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL 2/5

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Never liked Kattan.

And the premise of Saturday's show, right from the opening monologue/bit was interesting: "Current cast sucks, so we're here to bail you out in sweeps month."

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd be curious which hosts get bigger ratings than others or if they even do. This week, my wife, who rarely watches the show, wanted to watch it because Carvey was on. I'd be curious if Carvey got better ratings than when Eisenberg was on.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I got drunk on Friday and came home to Armisen's show. It was creepy as fuck. I just stared at it for a while and wondered what was going on. My friends agreed it was very strange. I don't recomend anyone wasting their time.

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I really liked Chris Kattan, if only for his absurdism.

As for Jay Pharoah, he really needs to relax. Still very green when it comes to performing. Once he gets his nerves calmed and begins to embody his characters, he'll soar.

Let me second 'Head Wound Harry.' Slays me every time.

5. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I think as much as Pharoah isn't getting the run, it also seems Keenan Thompson being phased out too. That, to me, means that Keenan is writing more, which could be the beginning of the end of Meyers. If Keenan takes over as head writer, expect to see him actually utilize Pharoah, because that dude kills it every time on the screen.

Still my fave, "OH HELL NAY!"

6. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't find Armisen funny. All of his Weekend Update characters, in particular, are automatic fast-forwards, except for David Paterson.

7. Mizzougrad96

And Patterson, while funny, is the cheap laugh.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

a crossthread post: hopefully, christina aguilera gave 'snl' a hangin' curveball for some yuks next saturday (hosted by russell brand). in old days might have been fodder for extra bases. i'll settle for a bunt single with current writers/cast. :( :( :(

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hartman was the best. The Glue. Could do absolutely anything. And if his psycho wife hadn't blown him to bits while he slept, he would have starred in the career-making blockbuster that has eluded Carvey.

Huge Carvey fan and would rank him no. 2, but Hartman is the best artist in the history of that show, and maybe even the medium (of course he's vying for that title with whomever the best was from In Living Color and MAD TV, so that's probably damning him with faint praise).

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Have to agree with you here. Hartman was so talented in so many different ways. He'd already had a great run on News Radio post-SNL, and it's sad to think about how many other things he might have done.

My favorite bit of Hartman trivia is how pre-SNL he was actually a damn good artist who had somethng like 40 album covers from the '70s. Here are his most-famous two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and more more thing: As great as Massive Headwound Harry was, the greatest skit ever was the Hartman-led The Sinatra Group.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember me from such album covers as America, Poco, and Crosby Stills and Nash!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Mizzougrad96

I'd put Hartman No. 2 overall all-time. Obviously they were both brilliant.

I think the best cast ever would have been the one with

Carvey
    Hartman
    Lovitz
    Hooks
    Dunn
    Nealon
    Myers
    Miller
    Jackson

I might be forgetting someone and I'm not positive Myers and Miller ever overlapped. His first season might have been right after Miller left. Not sure...

Draft saved Draft deleted