1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL (12/18)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Dec 18, 2010.

1. ringer

ringer Active Member

I didn't get the boring song with Cookie Monster. Can someone please fill me in on the joke? Thanks

2. AD

AD Active Member

i'm with you, ringer. had NO idea what that was about -- and then it went on forever.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The Sesame Street people got quite a bit of pub a few weeks ago producing a viral video in which Cookie Monster "auditioned" to host SNL in hopes of creating a Betty White-esque groundswell of support.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Which is insane. Jeff Bridges might be the best actor working today. How does he not get more usage--especially since it took him, what, 28 years to get back to SNL?

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Rewatch the first song and pay attention to the guy playing the keyboards; he's in many shots on the right side of your TV. He shouldn't be hard to spot because he looks like he doesn't belong.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Loved the opener - clever way to use the Obama gang.
    I just wonder if Julian Assange is doing for Bill Hader's career what Sarah Palin did for Tina Fey.
    Snooki, Stefon and Gov. Patterson...the 21st-century Tarzan, Tonto and Frankenstein. Bring on the jacked elves.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A lot of actors go on the show and don't want to be used much. I don't know if that's the case here, but it very well might be, especially if Bridges has been doing the talk show circuit to promote Tron and True Grit.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I just had Sex was awesome. I liked the chorus... and the fireworks at the end. Another great short.

Also, a nice Koko B. Ware reference. I bet 90 percent of the viewers didn't get that.

Another good line: Featuring bands like "Dump" and "Third Eye Blind"

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

The Cookie Monster and Jeff Bridges actually made me cry. It was so touching and sweet, free of the cynicism or jaded irony that is the backbone of a lot of modern comedy.

There was a certain magic to the moment that could live for years and years. A perfect holiday moment, made even more endearing by Jeff Bridges' obvious ad-lib about half a cookie and the other half a cookie when it had broken in his pocket. Then Cookie Monster's response, "Twice as good!"

EDIT: As I wrote this reply, I was inspired to pen an item on my newspaper's entertainment blog. Click here if you want to read it.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Link doesn't work, CI. :(

11. Mizzougrad96

That short is among the best Samberg has ever done.

Just fantastic.

12. Mizzougrad96

I watched it again.

It's better than Lazy Sunday. It's better than Dick in a Box. It's better than Mother Lover. It's his masterpiece.

Draft saved Draft deleted