1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL 12/11/10

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Dec 12, 2010.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

McCartney may not have sounded great but the shoutout to Lennon was pretty cool. And I thought he sounded much better during the middle segment of A Day In The Life, my favorite Beatles tune. That was the first time I've watched an entire SNL in at least 15-20 years and I didn't think it was that bad. A few of the sketches made me laugh.

2. I agree. The selection of Jet puzzled me -- I said out loud that Band on the Run makes more sense, then he got to it later. Day in the Life/Give Peace a Chance was great, with the tip to Lennon so soon after the anniversary. And you're right -- Get Back was rockin'.

But his bandmates? Major fail. Sounded like he rounded them up backstage. "Hey, want to play some tunes?"

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Only saw him do "Band On The Run" and "A Day In the Life" and the former was terrible, just kind of trudged along, no energy at all. "A Day In The Life' was not bad.

Is that the band he normally tours with? People I know who have seen him rave about those guys.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

BYH, I Will Follow happens to be my favorite U2 song and you're right... that was an electric version of it on SNL. Bono and the bandmates just nailed it.

I almost wonder if McCartney should have been host and musical guest. Rudd almost seemed lost in the "Omigod, it's Paul McCartney!" hubbub... as for Jet, that is a hard song to sing and his musicians were off.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

If you made it past the lame cold open, it was a pretty good show. Rudd is an effective host, Pharoah busted out as the high school principal, and comic use of the musical guest is always good (although it's tough to top McCartney's guest spot on The Chris Farley Show). He sounded better as the show went on, for some reason.
    Coldplay got to perform over the closing credits, as did Phoenix (?) in recent years. I wonder if McCartney played anything after signoff, as happens occasionally with musical guests who are big faves of the cast and crew. In both their appearances ('07 and last month), Arcade Fire played another three songs for the live audience and cast after signoff.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

See, I didn't think it was a bad show either. Ya, the Obama cold-opens are getting old and Seth's Update material is consistently lame (the Clinton joke should have been first, Seth), but Jay did a great job playing the principal. I thought Hader made a great Julian Assange, and the What's My Name sketch was good.

There were a couple sketches that were funny but apparently the audience sat on their hands.

Wouldn't surprise me if Paul maybe played a few more songs. That's usually stuff that ends up on NBC.com or something. Didn't he do a few more songs last summer on Letterman's marquee than what we saw?

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If they run that god-awful sketch with the gross kissing family one more time I will consider never watching that show again.

8. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Which usually involves Jay Pharoah, Bill Hader, or a good digital short and that's about it.

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Come on, no love for our favorite New York clubber Stefon? The thing about the parking cones at the end had me rolling. He's consistently funny.
    And I thought McCartney was a very game guest, thanks to his part in the digital short and the "captioning" of Prince Charles and Camilla's incident.
    It wasn't an A-plus episode (the kissing family and Armisen's inappropriate stage manager can leave anytime) but it wasn't bad by SNL's current standards.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Hell, ARMISEN can leave anytime. Can anyone name a single memorably funny thing he's done on the show? I sure can't.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's not so much brand loyalty as it is scorchingly profitable. SNL is like the Florida Marlins of TV--keep cast members until they get famous then allow them to walk. Replace them with cheap, eager, young talent and rinse, wash, repeat. Most of the players are forgettable but there's always a gem or two to be unearthed.

And how many DVDs has that show generated? Sure, the show always carries with it a bit of buzz--as in, this week will probably royally suck, but there's a 1 in 50 chance everyone will be talking about it Monday morning so I better tune in--but it'll stay on the air until the Mayans are finally right because it makes NBC money hand over fist.

And I envision writer's meetings at SNL going something like this.

Seth: "I don't know, kissing family members isn't that funny."
    Lorne: "I like it."
    Seth: *sighs* "OK."

When Lorne expires, SNL will grow about 100x funnier.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Armisen must have pictures of Lorne Michaels with a donkey.

Draft saved Draft deleted