1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL (11/7)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Nov 8, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Might have been the funniest episode of the season (I realize not saying much) but Taylor Swift, a guest appearance by Amy Poehler and some good decent skits went a long way. Taylor Swift was pretty damn funny. Worth checking out on Hulu if you missed it.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

The skit where Swift plays the girl who declares the dangers of parents driving while looking for their cell phone, singing a song to which they don't know the lyrics, having The Sex Talk with their kids, etc, was hilarious.

She was better than I thought she'd be. Did an uncanny Kate Gosselin impersonation.

Tonight marked the first time I even watched a second of SNL of the season. Boy, I couldn't have imagined typing that even two years ago.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

That one person responded to this thread says a lot!

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's also the middle of the night, dude.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Taylor Swift was the best host they've had in more than a year. She was great. The last one I recall who exceeded expectations so much was Peyton Manning.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

opening monologue song by swift was pretty damn funny

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

BYH gets desperate to post as the night gets later... the equivalent of the girls all get prettier at closing time.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I had the feeling she'd pull it off - she's not a brilliant actress by any means, but young female host who wants to muss up her wholesome image a bit (Anne Hathaway, Natalie Portman) has a pretty good track record.
    It was great to see them open with a go-for-the-throat (and actually funny) political sketch - you know those Faux News folks who were crowing about the Obama I've-done-nothing opener a few weeks ago are going to be in full conniption (hell, Beck will throw a second appendix).
    Particular since TS probably drew in plenty of folks (including hardcore red-staters) who usually don't watch SNL.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

taylor swift is a very talented young lady. 8)

well done episode for a change.

10. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

If you saw her appearance on CSI (original recipe) last season, you'd know that she has some acting chops. Her musical performances were awful though - get a vocal coach, kiddo!

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I tuned in just after the monologue, and barely chuckled the entire show. Swift as the teen with bad-driving parents was funny, as was the Twilight spoof, but so much of the rest was just so unoriginal.
    • Scared straight? Yeah, done before and it wasn't funny then, either.
    • Penelope (or whatever her name is), the exaggerator? Done. Unfunny.
    • The View? Again: Done before, not funny yet again.
    • Nick Fain on WU? Ditto.
    • At the end, the "Business Bunnies" album? To steal Seth and Amy's bit, "Really?" Natalie Merchant? Eddie Vedder? Did I miss the memo where we not only were supposed to turn our clocks back last week, but also our calendars to 1993?

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Fox News skit didn't hold a candle to what the Daily Show did on the elections and Beck this week. Saw Swift on Fallon and I think she wrote some of her own stuff, at least the monologue song.

Draft saved Draft deleted