1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL 10/30/10

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The saving grace in past years when the cast has sucked has been update. Now, thanks to Meyers, it's just another unfunny 10 minutes.

I want to know if Pharoah can do Obama. There's no way he's worse than Armisen.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

With all the shit going on in politics, how can there not be a smart Obama skit every week?

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I was hoping for a Rock Obama cameo - Dwayne's got a movie coming out month.
    Feeling very hopeful about November - Arcade Fire the 13th (though Scarlett's meh at best as host) and Anne Hathaway the 20th. She was great last time.

4. Mizzougrad96

The Harry Reid skit a couple weeks back was God awful. The Biden opening was weak, at best.

5. Pete Incaviglia

I agree. I mean, you have a guy - a black guy - who can do an Obama impression. And they haven't used him yet. Why?!

There's proof right there that he can do it. And do it well.

I just don't understand. I really don't.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Pharoah take over Obama with a skit opening with Armisen being counseled that with the GOP in charge of the House he needs to get tougher, he needs an image makeover so the advisers huddle around him and when they back away - it's Pharoah in the chair.
    But I know it will never happen.

7. Mizzougrad96

That would be awesome.

8. Pete Incaviglia

The thing is, I read an interview with Chevy Chase, and he admitted he looked nor sounded anything like Ford but all he did was trip a lot. And that made it successful. And recurring.

Now the show has someone who looks (sorta) like Obama and sounds just like him and does nothing with him.

9. Mizzougrad96

Chase didn't even try to sound like Ford or do an impression, but the sketches were funny because he is funny.

Armisen is about as funny as a dead kitten.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think it's a seniority thing with Armisen. I think they'll go with Pharoah eventually but they're trying to do it tactfully. Armisen has worked really hard on his Obama, and it still completely sucks, but it's like bringing in a freshman stud quarterback to a program that's in transition. We all want to see the shitty senior QB yanked immediately, but there are inter-cast/team politics in play. The rest of the cast might not be thrilled if a Featured Player got the top gig after three weeks. If you want to understand why it's playing out the way it is, why they haven't made the switch right away, there's the reason right there. Even Eddie Murphy, arguably one of the best comedians of all time, had to wait his turn on SNL. I'm certain this is the way Loren sees it.

Playing the prez is one of SNL's biggest gigs. It's sort of the main spotlight gig, in fact. They're going to need a good Obama in the next two years, so I can only assume Loren is trying to bring Pharoah along slowly and that Armisen will either offer to step aside and let the kid do Obama, or he'll quit when he sees the writing on the wall.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

After Ferrell left they had Will Forte do Bush it for two years then gave it to Chris Parnell. The've done it before. I actually like Armisen's Liberace and Woody Allen, but that's about it.
    I have noticed that they haven't brought somebody on who has made a big splash immediately since the Dana Carvey, Mike Meyers era - or maybe nobody new has made a splash because the skits aren't good.

12. Mizzougrad96

A lot of the people who went on to become pretty big stars on the show toiled in obscurity for a season or two as writers or featured players.

I really can't remember anybody coming in and doing a ton during their first season, unless it was one of the year where they replaced almost the entire cast.

Draft saved Draft deleted