1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL 10/25

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Oct 25, 2008.

1. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Jon Hamm is really, really hot. That's about all I have to say. I thought the Vincent Price Halloween special skit was pretty funny.

Plus, David Cook next week! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

yeah, this opening skit is ... bad. ugh, now i realize why i don't mind this is the first Saturday night I've had at home in about a year.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sarah Palin would have sucked it up. What a piker, this Poehler is.

That said, loved the Mad Men stuff, nice seeing Peggy and the old guy. I imagine Jon Hamm will be headlining movies before too long. He's got skills.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm punchy since I'm still at work, but that cracked me up.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Getting two other Mad Men cast members in that skit was excellent. That's where I am so far, and I think it's been pretty good.

Then again, I absolutely love Mad Men.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The opening skit went after Biden and Murtha. That's why you guys think it sucked.

7. DanOregon

Actually, the Obama 1/2 hour variety hour was funnier than Biden/Murtha.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Memo to tony: There's more to comedy than your latest political hard-on.

9. DanOregon

I don't know if it was better material, but Jon Hamm did a hell of a job. He's got that Alec Baldwin thing down pat, a loveable smugness. Loved his James Mason, the John Ham, and his Don Draper bit.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

No, we think it sucked because it was completely devoid of anything remotely resembling humor.

I clocked that skit at around six minutes. It had enough material to stretch, at the most, 45 seconds.

Four minutes of going "Ha Ha! Look! I'm pointing to a guy in the crowd that you can't see! That's funny!" is not funny and the whole "let me clarify what I meant" thing was funny the first time. Not so much after 45,053 uses.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I saw the last hour of SNL last week (10/18), the first time I'd seen the show in years. It was stunningly unfunny. Even Weekend Update blew, and that's usually the easiest thing to do since you just need a couple of good lines to save it. The two anchors would deliver bad material, then sit there and smile until they got nervous laughter.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You forgot Schroeder flipping over.

Then again, just how the hell do you show that on a computer screen?

Draft saved Draft deleted