1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL (1/10)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Is Dr. Maddow really high-profile enough to become a regular character, like Hammond's Chris Matthews?

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

High-profile doesn't matter as much as the impression. And she played her pretty off the wall.

There were plenty of people who didn't even know Chris Matthews before Hammond parodied him. And a lot of them probably checked out the real Chris Matthews after seeing Hammond and said, "Oh, my God ... he's really like that!"

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The Harry Cary impression that Will Ferrel used to do was a huge hit for lots of people I know who had limited or no knowledge of who Harry Cary was. I think if it is funny it does not matter if people know who the person being imitated is.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

FB - I think that Maddow is on an NBC property is all that matters. I don't think they've ever done a takeoff of Hannity and Colmes or Rush Limbaugh and I've only seen one spoof of O'Reilly. The problem with Maddow is that she doesn't really have a comedic tic to exaggerate (Unlike Olbermann or Matthews).

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Finally watched, and I'd agree with those who say it was the best episode in a while (though it still had plenty of flaws). I enjoyed the Broadway skit, and "Frost/Other People" was pretty damn funny. And I thought the Two First Names skit was hilarious, with them getting pissed when they realized it was Daniel Day-Lewis not "Daniel Dave Lewis." I also loved the Destiny's Child-inspired theme song, even with Armisen's terrible David Lee Roth. Didn't think the Maddow skit was good at all. I think she does have some unique tics, but I don't think the young Elliott captured them well until the very end.

It seems like the show's success is based almost entirely on how good the host is, and I thought Neil Patrick Harris was really good. But it doesn't seem like it has to be that way. There are some talented people on the cast. I think Wiig, Forte, Hader and Sudeikis, among others are pretty good. And I like Armisen in some situations. But they don't seem to be maximizing that talent, and play the same types of characters constantly. They need to just axe Kenan Thompson and Bobby Moynihan. That guy is just dreadfully bad. Talk about playing the same character all the time -- if I see that annoying pizza parlor waiter he does one more time, I'm going to smash my TV.

I don't know much about Taylor Swift, other than that she is pretty popular among country fans, but I thought she was terrible. I came away thinking that she can't sing a lick. If she performed like that on "Idol," she'd be cut off before she finished her audition. I understand that she's cute and can play guitar (apparently), but I just did not see the appeal there. The songs were good, but the singing was horrible. She must have really good people in the studio with her. And it seems pretty obvious that she should have lip-synched. Or maybe I just caught her on a bad night.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

actually looking forward to this saturday night.

l heart me some rosario dawson. ;) 8) ;)

7. KG

KG Active Member

I loved the episode (years ago) with Skid Row.

Draft saved Draft deleted