1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sneaking in to movies...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, May 8, 2009.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

That question was rhetorical. But thanks for playing.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Haven't done this since I was 13, and even then, I am not sure we ever saw more than one movie. I do remember buying the ticket to the Disney film and then going to see the R-rated film. That sort of thing. I don't go to the movies that much, but the theater closest to here has a system where they file you out the back through a separate exit, presumably to stop people like Killick and Small Time's wife.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I decided it wasn't. You know, since it was posted with a question mark at the end on a message board.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Movie's already playing. They'll be showing it no matter if someone sneaks in or not.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

6 pack here is 12 bucks, I think I should be able to steal a case for that price.

6. highlander

highlander Member

Another solution. Go to boss, tell him you are contemplating sneaking into a second movie and ask for a raise. :)

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I've been known to pull the self-service double feature. I know it's technically wrong, but have many ways to justify it in my head.

PRACTICAL: I've just finished watching a movie and want to see one across the hall. I should exit the entire complex just to give someone $10 to come in again? That seems inefficient and wasteful.

MORAL: If they have no problem charging me $6 for a soda that cost them 11 cents to make, why should I feel bad for getting a 2-for-1 on the ticket?

I just tell myself it's a victimless crime. Except in two cases in which I wouldn't do it anyway -- the movie is sold out and I'm taking a seat that would otherwise be paid, or my second movie is one I would have come back on a separate occasion and paid full price for -- all I'm doing is planting my butt in an otherwise empty seat for a showing they have to show anyway. Plus I might buy concessions I would otherwise not buy, and in that scenario they come out ahead.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

All of you are missing the point. The sales of the movie tickets, for the most part, go to the movie companies. Double and triple dipping like that has the same effect that shoplifting does in stores; it raises prices. Of course, they don't keep an "inventory" of the number of people in a theater at a given time, but they do do estimates. And if the number X the ticket sale receipts does not = what they should be getting, then the prices go up.

Most movie house do make most of their money on sales of their concessions. Just like ballparks.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Rhetorical questions are still questions. They still have question marks. They are just not meant to be answered.

But I'll chalk you up in the "No" column anyway ...

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Good God ... wtf are you drinking? It better have diamonds in the bottom of it, or something.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

It's not the same as shoplifting, unless I would otherwise have gone back and paid for the second movie, which for me is never the case. I only double dip to see something I'm not sure about. They would never in a million years have gotten my ticket money to see "The Hills Have Eyes 2." At worst, the movie company lost whatever a later Netflix rental would have netted them.

And if concessions is what supports the theater, all the better. If I'm there for 4 hours instead of 2, I'm a lot more likely to drop money on concessions. About 100 percent more likely, actually. In exchange, I sit in one of the 200 empty seats for the 2 p.m. showing of "Death Sentence."

12. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I'm a law and order guy (the concept, not the TV series ... at least not the post-Jerry Orbach version of the TV series), but even I don't have a problem with taking in a doubleheader -- as long as you're not taking up a seat for a sold-out showing.

Though there is the issue of the lost revenue for the price of the ticket, the theater incurs no added expense because they were going to run the projector and the air conditioning regardless. And, as others have noted, on average the theater will recoup a chunk of the lost ticket revenue by selling more of the oil-drum-sized buckets of popcorn for $16 or so.

BTW, if this were an actual problem for theaters they would be hiring more pimply-faced ticket-takers and mop-toters to ride herd on the crowd toward the exit as each movie ends.

Draft saved Draft deleted