1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Snapchat back hands Facebook

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 14, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Teenagers are awesome.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This industry just fascinates me. None of these companies turn a profit. None of them. Even Amazon. It seems like a huge, huge bubble to me, but smart financial people keep throwing money at them. And Facebook's stock keeps soaring.

3. Dick Whitman

I wonder if Snapchat is used as a digital clutter-clearing device as much as anything else, even moreso than the privacy aspect.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There's tens of billions of tech dollars chasing a young demographic that doesn't stop long enough to catch before it's on to the next best thing. Amusing to watch, really.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

This seems like an extremely dumb by Snapchat. I'm not really sure how it can grow much. I wonder if Facebook's looking into buying Tinder to move into the online "dating" realm.

6. Dick Whitman

The story noted that they don't want to work for Zuckerberg. I wonder if Google or someone came along with the same offer, if they would take it.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The theory on Wall Street is that each new popular social media site will become an Internet advertising cash cow. Alas, whenever a site becomes too full of advertising or corporate shilling, many people, not just kids, stop using it and move on to something else. Maybe these guys are making a huge mistake, but hell, it's their company. Being offered billions doesn't HURT your belief you make said company even bigger on your own.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You know who would be all up on Snapchat?

freqposter.

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

One of my kids has a roommate who is very familiar with Tinder. Oy.

10. Dick Whitman

There was a recent NYT story that called Grinder, the gay version, an "online dating site" for gay men. I think a lot of people got a chuckle out of that white wash.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Twitter now has a $24 billion market cap and faces huge Wall St. pressure for ad dollars, the same kind of pressure that has forced Facebook to push the patience of its users since its IPO. Not coincidentally, on its earnings call a couple weeks ago, FB conceded that it's leaking daily teenage users, which was probably the main reason it offered so much for Snapchat.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Don't know if this was on the Blockbuster board but they offered 50 million to Netflix early on. And you all know the rest of the story

Draft saved Draft deleted