1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Snaking assignments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by roxraidersfan, May 28, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The suspense is killing me: Did he go anyway?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No. I think he saw the daggers coming from my eyes and backed off.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's been done and it will continue to be done. By publications large and small. I know most reporters HATE being put in that position at the expense of another reporter. You'd at least like to think it could be handled with some class.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Wasn't someone here just talking about a publisher taking over for the NFL playoffs?

5. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I bet Mark Cuban wishes he had this option wih Avery Johnson. Mighta saved Avery's job.

But yeah, be ticked. Had an old SE who used to do this. Always wanted to take over the "winning" beats.

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I was on the other side of this once. Handed a sweet beat just as it was getting good. Felt bad for the guy ... a young writer and a guy who meant well, but had no work ethic and was a hack. The guy was gone within six months.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Looking back at the OP's previous posts, he/she works at a weekly. That has to hurt since aren't most weeklies one-person sports desks?

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Know of at least two MEs -- at a big paper -- who used credentials to attend big games and sit in the pressboxes, though they didn't work a lick that day. Fans, one of the local MLB club, the other of his alma mater. Two frauds who lost all sorts of respect from the troops on the days in question, though they were oblivious to how bush-league they looked.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Well, we know that ain't Marty Morningweg. He'd be lucky to win 10 games at all.

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

The bar is still high for Marty.

11. roxraidersfan

roxraidersfan Member

I work at a three-person desk, the other reporter has another spring playoff covered and I am not the bossman if you get my drift.

Draft saved Draft deleted