1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Snaking assignments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by roxraidersfan, May 28, 2008.

1. roxraidersfan

roxraidersfan Member

Here's one I've had to deal with since I started at my paper two years ago. Every season, I've been on a beat and then come playoff time *POOF* the beat is taken from me and given to another reporter. I'm good enough for the day in, day outs? But not for the postseason?

Should I be pissed?

Thanks for the time.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yes, you should be pissed. You also deserve an explanation, which you probably don't want to hear because it will piss you off even more.

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Yeah, I am thinking the explanation won't be one you want to hear.

4. jps

jps Active Member

screw that - I wanna hear it.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, you should be. What are you doing instead of covering the postseason?

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

An evil bit of business when it happens.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If the editor is taking a beat away from you for the postseason, you're damn right you need to have it explained. And yes, it won't be one you'll like hearing.

My recommendation: Time to update the resume and start looking for other employment.

8. lono

lono Active Member

Only if you do this for a living. If you bag groceries six days a week and string for the paper doing gamers, not so much.

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

"Heck of a season, Marty, but I'm afraid we're going to make a switch."

"Now? But we just made the playoffs."

"Yes, Marty, that's true, but you're just not cutting the mustard in the postseason. You've been a disaster!"

"So I'm fired after yet another 10-win season?"

"Well, sort of. You'll just be coaching regular seasons for now on."

"So you have a replacement?"

"Yep, Parcells starts tomorrow. Enjoy the offseason, Marty."

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. If you're a stringer, rather than a full-time staffer, them's the breaks.

If you are a full-time staffer, time to have a heart-to-heart.

11. I'm guessing you're a stringer who gets replaced when things get good? Happens all the time. But you should still fight for it. Prove you can do the tough stuff. Break some stories on there once in a while. That's how I got my first full-time job eventually - by being a bulldog on little prep and local beats when I was 18-21 years old.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hell yes you should be pissed.
    Closest I ever came to strangling an editor was over something like this. We had four schools in the playoffs and three writers. I was the one who picked up the extra team, and for three weeks I busted my ass doing features on both series, gamers and notebooks from both, and previews for just about every game. Probably 10-12 stories each week. Only games I missed were in the semifinals, when both teams played at the same time.
    So, one of the teams makes it all the way to the state finals. The editor, who was leaving at the end of the school year, asks me if I'd mind if he went on the road for Game 2 of a best-of-three so he could "say goodbye" to all the folks. I politely told him that yes, I would mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted