1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Snakes in my (insert the well-known potty mouth words here) back yard!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Really don't like spiders, but mice are worse for me. Those are the bastards I can't stand.
    Not a big fan of snakes either. However, if they wanna stay in my back yard and keep the mice out, they're more than welcome.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Any thread that mentions Rikki Tikki Tavi and a product called Snake-A-Way is just awesome.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Riki Tiki Tavi is awesome. Is it legal to own a mongoose in this country?

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I just found the Riki Tiki Tavi DVD on Columbia House. I was sooooo happy. I cannot wait 'til it arrives.

Anyway, could someone please post the Sam Jackson movie poster? It's the whole reason I clicked on this thread.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Of the five types of indigenous snakes in the Keys, two (coral snakes and eastern diamondback rattlers) are deadly. So unless she was certain it was a common rat snake, it's probably a good thing she didn't pick it up.

Speaking of the Keys, it always weirded me out to be sitting in a room and have a gecko dart across a wall.

6. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Hate snakes with a passion. Not to the point of draining my pool if I find one in there, but still, they totally freak me out.

7. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

That's me in a nutshell. Snakes are cool. I wouldn't pick one up like the crazy animal people on television, but I'd definitely get close enough to try and figure out what kind it was. Mice, rats and other little rodents are cool too.

But bugs... yuck. I can get them on pieces of paper and put them outside if they're little, but that's about it. I coexisted with a little spider who'd moved into my shower for about a month until it finally drowned because I didn't want to touch it.

Roaches are worse. Those will send me up onto a chair and calling guys on my cellphone to come get rid of it for me.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Ask and you shall recieve:

[​IMG]

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I thank goodness for having the experience of relearning snakes with my two boys. Reading those books really gave me a deep appreciation for what snakes are and their vital role in the cycle of life. Snakes are wonderful creatures which should be respected, not killed. (Admit that I am not ultra fond of them.)

No solutions, only like to ask, your wife hates snakes yet you move to a place with an acre of land and a body of water. Whohavethunkit that snakes would appear?

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Hey qtlaw ... I think it's called power of the p___ :) ???

I wouldn't know anything about it myself but that's what I hear.

----

Snakes don't bother me as much as rodents or bats.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

There was no snake variable in the equation we used to settle on which house to buy. The Mrs. liked the house, liked the lot and said I get to have a room in which to hang all my sports stuff. I'd have been OK pretty much anywhere that wasn't within walking distance of the projects.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

They can cycle all the life they want ... as long as they stay away from my g/d swimming pool ...

Draft saved Draft deleted