1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Snake being Snake

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jun 8, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Unbelievable... star power has its privlege in Bammer....
    Does this mean we get to fall asleep to him and the somnescent tones of Eli Gold on Saturday night?

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I heard about some of the details of the stop right after it happened and knew that he was getting a bum rap on this particular charge. Still, I'm surprised he wasn't convicted. The idea about star power having its privileges is really quite the contrary when a cop gets a hard-on and a DA decides he is going to puff himself up by taking a statewide celeb down a few pegs.

I'm no fan of Alabama's AD Mal Moore, but he gets another feather in his cap for refusing to do the politically expedient thing by jettisoning Snake when the arrest was made public. His spot in the broadcast booth is safe and sound as UA has gone with two guys who don't know jack about football and a former player as a guest commentator all year.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

god bless the snake.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

***The Foley Native has been arrested atleast twice before for drunken driving--once in 1995 and again in 2001.***

I thought it was more than twice. He's been on the drinking-alert radar of locals "in the know" for years here Down South.
    A wonderful persona, though. Really cool guy. I've talked with him a couple of times, including once for about 10 mins when Pete Rose was on-site in Mobile.
    Kenny's down-to-earth as it gets.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

If you cut the hair, you might get Andy Griffith.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The spittin' image of former Cowboy assistant coach (and notorious camera-whore) Joe Avezzano.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Finds usage, almost as frequently as:

"Pac Man indicted"

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK, I'm listening to afternoon drive talk radio in my town, with two guys I really like as people. Show is a little fan-boi homerish, but I can deal with it.

One of them (co-host with contractual ties to Alabama) says ,' Some good news. Kenny Stabler has been found not guilty of drunk driving...."
    I snapped. Called the on-air line and jumped the producer, who I know well and like a lot.
    "What's your name?"
    It's Slappy.
    "Hey, what's up?"
    I want on. I want to jump all over (co-host with contractual ties to Alabama).
    "About?"
    His comment on "Good News." Stabler was not 'not guilty' The judge just tossed the case on a procedural basis because the cops didn't observe him the whole time after he refused the breath test. Would it have been good news if he got off after killing someone? It doesn't mean he wasn't drunk.
    "Just a minute....He says he doesn't want to go on the air and talk about it, but he'll talk to you after the show."

Good news. Yeah, good news. So he now only has two DWI convictions instead of three. Aw, that's Kenny. Well fuckity fuck fuck that.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

god bless ken stabler.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I wasn;t joking, tom.
    I was pissed at someone I really admire and respect, because he publicly said that it was good news that Stabler got off on a technicality. Not sure how I feel, but there's a bit less admiration and a lot less respect.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i understand that, slap, and i apologize for making light of what you said. but, at the same time, you are concluding that stabler was drunk.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And you are concluding that he wasn't.
    He didn't get off because he was proved not to be drunk; he got off because the judge ruled his refusal to take the breathalizer inadmissible because the cops didn't watch him every second from the time he declined the test.
    And that's my problem with what the radio guy said. I don't see that as good news. It's not like the track record suggests Stabler was sober. He just got away with one and that's not good news.

Draft saved Draft deleted