1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SMU is in Dallas, right?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jul 11, 2012.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Over the last few days, I've seen 2 news items from national website writers involving player movement at SMU - now coached by Larry Brown. One player who had said he was playing at SMU decided to go pro and a 7-footer announced he had picked SMU some other decent schools.

I've checked the Dallas Morning News web site and I find nothing about either story. Look, I realize it's SMU and it's basketball. But to me this is just reason No. 2973 why newspapers are tanking. Work your corners, folks. Or you won't have any corners to work.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

They don't care.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Technically, it's in University Park, not in Dallas.

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

FP: OK, fine. ;)

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I realize they don't care. That's my point. That's the problem.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

FWIW, DMN's SMU writer is also its Olympics writer and is already about waist-deep in that (she was at the track trials and the gymnastics trials and might already be on her way to London). That said, the paper needs to have someone keeping an eye on the Ponies while she's away, especially now that Larry Brown is in town (and, yes, SMU is in University Park).

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Especially when you consider that SMU alums (i.e., affluent white people) are among those most likely to read the paper.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Maybe, but I would offer that in terms of general reader interest in Big D, Smu is WAY down the list, well behind UT, A&M and OU, and probably behind the NHL Stars, as well. Fact is, Ponies haven't been relevant in any sport that matters since the 1980s.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Maybe if they replace their mustang logo with something a little more hip for the 2010s?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

LOL. Glad I wasn't drinking anything when I saw that. Spew-worthy for sure.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

This is the logo you get if both of June Jones' last two gigs procreated.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Thanks in part to the DMN

Draft saved Draft deleted