1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoltz, Glavine, Maddux .. best staff ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 4, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

mid-1960s Indians were solid too... Sam McDowell, Sonny Siebert, Luis Tiant, Steve Hargan... only .500 club but just awesome strikeout totals

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

We're talking about starting rotations, not entire staffs.

For one season it would have to be the 71 Orioles staff that has already been mentioned.

However, in terms of body of work over a period of years, Glavine, Smoltz & Maddux would be the best in my lifetime.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Don't disagree with any of those mentioned, but wanted to throw out a few more:

1. Early 70s Oakland A's --- Hunter, Blue, Holtzman, with Blue Moon Odom or Chuck Dobson as the No. 4. Not bad.

2. 1953 New York Yankees had Whitey Ford, Vic Raschi and Ed Lopat, with Johnny Sain and Allie Reynolds as swingmen. That group would have stayed together longer had Ford not missed 1951 and 52 because he was in the military.

3. 1980 Astros --- Nolan Ryan, Joe Niekro, Ken Forsch, Vern Ruhle and J.R. Richard (for half the season; he was replaced by Joaquin Andujar after his stroke). Pretty salty.

4. 1988 Mets --- David Cone, Dwight Gooden, Ron Darling, Bobby Ojeda, Sid Fernandez. How'd that team ever lose to the Dodgers?

I know most of those staffs weren't together very long, but if the 1971 Baltimore Orioles qualify (that was Dobson's only really good year), then these do as well.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

For me:
    Mid-sixties Dodgers
    Early-seventies Orioles
    Mid-ninties Braves
    Early-sixties Yankees
    And any staff with bad-ass Bob Gibson on it.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Because Doc was a choking dog. Not over it yet.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Those 1980 Astros were nasty. Too bad Jose Cruz and his nine home runs (or so it seemed) was their only power.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Because Doc was twitching every time he crossed the white foul line on the way to the bump.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bitter?

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

A couple of people have mentioned this, but the Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz/Avery rotation was basically only together for one year, 1993. Smoltz was having an awful year when he hurt his arm in 1994 (or maybe because he hurt his arm), and Avery was washed up by 1995.

Also, Kent Mercker wasn't the No. 5 on that 1993 staff; Pete Smith was. I vividly remember the "5 Aces" poster from that season --- a sepia tone picture of Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Avery and Peter John Smith of the 47-71 career record. Mercker became the No. 5 in 1994 (but as I said, Smoltz was awful that year), when he improbably pitched the only no-hitter that any of those five (or six, if you prefer) ever did.

10. Even exlcuding Avery, Neagle and Millwood (all pretty solid No. 4s) both did pretty well with Atlanta as well, but the core was Smoltz, Glavine and Maddux.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Had a 2-1 lead in the best-of-five LCS and the lead late in Games Four and Five, if I recall correctly.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I know the different group had the 1986 Mets to the wall as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted